back to article Export control laws force student to censor infosec research

An ethical hacking student at the University of Northumbria has claimed that the university's ethics board and the Wassenaar Arrangement have forced him to delete some references to exploits from his final year dissertation. Grant Willcox, a BSc student studying Ethical Hacking for Computer Security, claimed in a blog post …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Joke

Just tell Google - they will then tell MS and give them 90 day to fix before publishing it.

2. elDog

Reminds me of some papers I wrote for the U.S. DoD

That were removed from my hands with a thank you (and a nice check), the hard drives scrubbed, and the documents put somewhere that I had no access to anymore - even though I obviously had the clearances.

I can't tell you that these documents might have involved penetration testing of various networks back the the 80's and 90's. I'm sure everything is much more secure now.

1. Roo

Re: Reminds me of some papers I wrote for the U.S. DoD

"I'm sure everything is much more secure now."

Presumably your papers were buried where the sun doesn't shine, because the recent history indicates they haven't even managed to get around to resetting default passwords yet. It's a pity that joe public pays the price for their fuck ups and willful ignorance of the clowns running the circus, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to replace them with people outside of the circus community.

3. Christoph

"it is not possible to release the exploits publicly or even to other researchers outside the UK without an export license"

Does this imply that you can't tell foreign software companies about security holes you have found in their products?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Does this imply that you can't tell foreign software companies about security holes you have found in their products?"

AFAICS, yes. It would also be illegal for any criminal to make use of the same holes should they discover them. Smart, very smart. Aren't we lucky we have such smart people looking after us?

2. Velv
      Gimp

Returning faulty goods to the manufacturer

1. P. Lee

re: Returning faulty goods to the manufacturer

Except you aren't allowed to tell them what the fault is.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

If you live in the UK, possibly. Who can say for sure? The law is vague on several points. Welcome to the police state, brother.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

The proposed changes to the WA in December 2013 are coming into effect now in the signatory countries and it knocks security research on the head. I'm sure all British universities have been advised but one of them had to be first.

So no commenting on the mountain of brain-dead OpenSSL bugs on, say, this forum. The world will be a better place for it, citizen.

4. Roo
      Windows

"

"it is not possible to release the exploits publicly or even to other researchers outside the UK without an export license"

Does this imply that you can't tell foreign software companies about security holes you have found in their products?"

I suspect you can release the exploits *privately* to the vendor in question. In my experience that doesn't work very well though, because 100% of the vulns I found & reported (all privately) were ignored by the vendor despite being exploited daily.

I suspect that in the vast majority of cases it is the possibility of public disclosure that actually motivates vendors to fix their products, consequently it will be a massive loss to everyone if public disclosure is criminalized.

4. Alan Sharkey

But, did he get his degree - far more important (for him)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security by Obscurity wins out again,

So the Wassenaar Arrangement will now discourage people from:

a) Looking for security vulnerabilities and publishing information about them,

b) Informing companies and the greater public about these security vulnerablities so they can't take steps to protect themselves.

Correct me if I missed anything.

As any abused child, battered wife, or security researcher will tell you: hiding problems doesn't make them go away. Whereas the University and the researcher will most likely comply with the letter of the law, the person who decides to use vulns for unlawful, unethical purposes will not.

How are we supposed to protect ourselves from the latter party? Will this law help us catch said party, when the vuln they are using is classified? Hmmm, maybe..... but probably not. If anything it will make the bad guys lives much simpler. The spread of knowledge and ideas is extremely difficult to legislate against.

We would be better off restricting the export of mentally retarded law makers and asinine policies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Security by Obscurity wins out again,

Actually what it does is ensure that the government is the only entity which can receive/triage information about vulnerabilities, which is the whole point. It takes self-defense out of the hands of people and makes it a national security policy issue. Why pay the market rate for vulnerability research when you can make the entire existing market illegal and make yourself the market? Then, when new vulnerabilities are discovered; you get exclusive access to all of them before the general public is aware of them. If your focus is to gain leverage on domestic industry, then it's a smart move. If your focus is national defense, then probably not, because nation states always find a way around export controls.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Actually what it does is ensure that the government is the only entity which can receive/triage information about vulnerabilities, which is the whole point."

In the somewhat cretinous headspace the people who make these laws live in, this might make some sense.

The bad news is that outlawing vuln research, discovery and disclosure will do no such thing, it just means vulns are less likely to become public knowledge or that manufacturers will ever fix them.

If it became illegal to report that a certain door lock could be sprung open by a special one - two hand twist, the people who had bought the door lock would not know about it. But clever burglars would know and these homeowners would be defenseless against their knowledge.

Stupid, stupid, stupid does not begin to describe. In an inter-networked world where knowledge is transmitted at the speed of light, it just won't work. It is time to accept this.

2. hplasm
      Happy

"We would be better off restricting ^H^H^H^H^H encouraging the export of mentally retarded law makers..."

Surely...

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Correct me if I missed anything."

Open source projects jointly worked on by people all over the world. Finding and fixing OpenSSL vulns is probably the most obvious example currently.

For that matter, companies like MS and Google have programming teams all over the world. If an MS bod in Reading, UK finds a bug/vuln in code written in Redmond they can't inform Redmond but might be able to fix it and send a patch but can't tell them why.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when the law of unintended consequences comes into play.

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Time to become a grey hat.

Looks like time to quit being a white hat and become a grey hat. I won't recommend becoming a blackhat, that selling 'sploits to card scammers and such is greasy. But I can guarantee if I found an exploit I wanted to tell people about, well, you could tell me no all you want but I would do it anyway (unless there's an ACTUAL concrete reason for that "no".)

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Totally Newspeak

Ethical == Not going against a possible interpretation of a shitty multinational "agreement" that is anyway lbroken by the signatories whenever it suits them.

Thumbs up, "Ethics Board".

8. Salts

There must be an ...

Apple joke here, Jony Ive's old haunt and all, though it was a poly then

9. James Ashton
    Alert

Well don't export it then

Why not just simply not export the research? Print copies, hand electronic copies to the examiners, but do not publish it online. Now you haven't exported it; problem solved. Surely exporting is not a requirement for the research to count towards assessment, or are some of the examiners overseas?

Now, if someone else maliciously (or this a strict liability law, no mens rea required?) exports it afterwards I can't see how it's your problem (or the university's, unless the other party was also part of the university). Does the law require this type of research to be kept secret or just not be exported? Is it an offence to recklessly or negligently reveal munitions research which might then be exported by others?

10. Pen-y-gors

Easy PhD

"I have made some wonderful discoveries about infosec vulnerabilities, but if I pout them in my thesis and tell you about them the CIA will have to kill you. Please send diploma to my usual address...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy PhD

Give the boy a 1.1 and a job at GCHQ...with good pension arrangements because he'll probably be there for life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like