back to article Private companies fall behind in cloud spending race

Spending on cloud infrastructure will take an increasing share of customer dollars over the next five years, with public cloud providers outspending their private cloud counterparts. IDC has reported that total worldwide cloud IT infrastructure spending will hit $33.4bn this year, a 26.4 per cent increase on the year. This …

1. MyffyW Silver badge
    Holmes

Public vs Private

My simplistic explanation for Public Cloud spend exceeding Private Cloud is that whilst most companies could (if they wanted to) use Public Cloud (such as Office 365) most would need to be operating at some scale before Private Cloud made sense.

Oh for the carefree days when one's server infrastructure ran to a NetWare server and Lotus Notes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Public vs Private

I interpret this slight differently...

The public sector are looking for a way to consolidate costs, and they're once again falling for the spill that is fed to them time after time by the usual suspects. The real problem is, the IT projects are planned by bean counters, and the budgets approved by bean counters... there are lots of talented IT monkeys in the public sectors, but most sit middle to bottom, very few at the time.

The private sector are much more cautious and don't listen to the marketing spin.. I think nilfs2 sum it up best in this thread then he finished with

"If you want to sell cloud services, get the CFO or equivalent bean counter involved."

So I guess public sector are his favorite customers..

2. Hargrove

A jaundiced view of a nebulous concept

My simplistic explanation for public v. private cloud computing is that cloud computing is an ideal mechanisms consolidating private information in the hands of those who govern, whilst transferring private funds (read peoples' taxes) to special interests with little or no visibility or accountability. Governments can operate at a loss, performance is not an consideration, and no one is accountable.

Private enterprises and individuals, who are accountable. are understandably more conservative. They hesitate yielding direct control of storage and control of their information (effectively, their lives) to something as nebulous as "the Cloud."

(THE Cloud is myth. What we have are scattered clouds. It seems that almost every other APP I get these days, comes with a feature encouraging me to upload data to cloud storage.)

No one thinks--much less talks--about the risks. The fact is that massively parallel data centers face serious technical challenges to reliability--challenges for which technical solutions are in short supply.

These are generally dismissed by hand waving references to redundancy, with no reference to the elephant in the parlor--communications bandwidth.

We live in interesting times.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like