back to article Gartner mages have spoken: 'D' is for Device, Decline and DOOM

It is just as well that fewer people now rely on PC sales to put food on the table, or they’d be reaching for the nearest begging bowl. Amid declining revenue forecasts from component makers, a Euro market buried under a mountain of unsold stock, and a strong US dollar causing price hikes outside the States, Gartner has added …

1. Tom 13

It's important to remember

PC use isn't declining, only PC sales. At the moment the roomie's nephew is staying for 8 weeks. He was commenting on the really nice case I had. I said it was the last hand build I did and when I built it, I finally said to hell with budgets, I'm building what I want. So I got myself a nice case, top end power supply, maxed the RAM and got a quad processor. It started with a high end graphics card as well, but since I don't play MMO shooters, I didn't see the need to replace it with equivalent when the old one died. Then I had to look up when Vista was released to date how long ago I built the PC. Vista was just being released at the time and I built myself a dual boot XP/Vista system which was migrated to XP/Win 7. That was about 8 years ago.

I might build myself another new system after Windows 10 is released (mostly so I have a system that will last about 8 years for Windows 7), but that will depend on how much I spend when I finally replace my now 14 year old car.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's important to remember

You'd better buy the motherboard right now while you can still disable Secure Boot.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's important to remember

Please...

Anyone remember the Trusted Platform Module. Been around for years, but these days it's only seen in particular niches where security is more important than user friendliness. And sometimes, not even then.

Point is, if Microsoft wanted to enforce a locked bootloader and all that jazz, they could've done that on the PC years ago. Thing was, no one in the consumer sphere was willing to bite the poisoned apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: It's important to remember

Maybe because at that time the concept of walled garden did not exist and PC business was blooming.

As for the consumer sphere, I see they are swallowing it just fine with all the phones, tablets and Chromebooks so, tell me please why should Microsoft refrain from enforcing it now when the PC market is in bad shape with no hope of a recovery ?

1. Charles 9

Re: @AC - It's important to remember

They aren't serious gamers. That's still dominated by the PC sphere, as Steam still only plays games there. The Steam Android app is just a portal because they know there will still be a demand for serious gaming, and due to the power, performance, and control demands, tablets won't be able to fill the niche anytime soon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like