back to article Office 365 prices 'to rise by up to 13 per cent'

Microsoft looks to have increased the price it will charge for Office 365 in the Euro-zone, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Australia, and Canada. Nicole Sheridan, who works and blogs for Irish distributor MicroWarehouse, has posted a Microsoft missive on the price rises. She also quotes from a Microsoft communiqué that says the …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

Microsoft is adding significant value to our products

Translation: It starts to work, just about.

Frankly Exchange Online's web-based admin interface is a crippling disaster (So are the basic concepts of that Exchange thing, frankly; users not identified by a UUID but by an arbitrary e-mail address? Please!! Renaming users yields mysterious error messages? I need PowerShell to debug and fix it? Whatever!) and Azure is a fat blob hurtling far being AWS on a mall scooter, yelling that it will FUCK IT UP!! Note that I have only used the classical interface, I haven't even dared touch the metronized one.

There is a loooong way to go still.

“we baked more in so you should pay more”

Well, at least it's more honest than the usual "you paid more to Intel for a more cor-y CPU so you should give us more for an unchanged product running on that same CPU" argument. It's just extortion, but then again they need the money to fuel their write-offs.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Step 1: Grasp testicles

Step 2: Squeeze

Tooooooooooooold ya so!

3. Mephistro
    Trollface

"...prices 'to rise by up to 13 per cent'..."

Run for your lives!!! Here comes an avalanche of told-you-so's!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...prices 'to rise by up to 13 per cent'..."

13% more told-you-so's detected in an El-Reg thread.

4. elDog

Mastering the concept of adding insult and injury

I hate to make this a U.S.of.A-centric thing but the Republicans are perfecting various means of taking a pretty bad position and crapping all over it to sell it to their customers.

They (MS) seem to be engaged in the same behavior. Take a few customer-facing products (Excel, Word, even Explorer) and hobble them over the years with more crap. Ribbons? We got ribbons!

Since they are late to the internet, I can see a few stumbles which they've demonstrated well. However, forcing customers into a MS view of their internet is probably not going to work. Charging more for the inconvenience will probably not work. Convincing the Executive Suite that this is The Way will probably work, as always.

Personally, I welcome my penguin comrades.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Gosh

I'm sooo surprised by this. I never would have expected a renowned company like Microsfot to do such a thing!

P.S. typo is an improvement so I left it.

6. alain williams Silver badge

Libre office price up 100%

But since it was free in the first place, it is still free!

7. Darryl

And my reseller wanted to know why I wanted 50 ProPlus licenses instead of 50 O365 subscriptions...

8. King Jack

Rental

This is what happens when you rent things.

9. Ilsa Loving

Twisting the knife already?

Wow, it's barely a couple years old and they're already taking steps to gouge people. I guess they have to make up that $7Bil shortfall somehow.

1. P. Lee
      Joke

Re: Twisting the knife already?

Yay! Skype finally adds value!

10. Seanie Ryan

welcome

as the owner of HSP, who has seen many customers move to O365 and then back to us after a few months, I am delighted !!

this means more business for me. couldn't be happier !!

Thanks M$

11. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I told you so.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

I wish you wouldn't do that

It started an ear-splitting avalanche

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As my grand-mother used to say

those who will not open their eyes will be soon opening their purse.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Flight Simulator? Oh yes!

It would be the most welcome addition to Office! And I will be able to fly from the Office to improve my acumen!

It would be the only good reason to move from Office 2007 to Office 365!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll be sticking with Office 2003 thanks.

Does everything I need and more. It also flies on modern hardware.

15. VinceH

Optional

"In these cloudy times, if Redmond adds some extra goodies, they're just part of the product and opting out looks nigh-on impossible."

Well, quite - and that applies to anyone providing cloudy-goodness (FSVO 'goodness'), not just Microsoft. It's one of the reasons I dislike cloud solutions - and I would imagine many other El Reg readers feel the same. The problem is, some people just will not be told.

As AC says above "Those who will not open their eyes will soon be opening their purses" - never heard that saying before, but it's one worth remembering (and AC's post has therefore been duly upvoted)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like