back to article Cheaper-than-Oracle Rimini defiant as Oracle drags 'em back to court

Oracle's long-running copyright case against independent support vendor Rimini Street is set to be heard before a jury in September, the database giant said on Tuesday. "There are no active settlement discussions between the parties," Larry Ellison & Co said in a statement. "Oracle seeks more than $200 million in damages and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Monopoly abhors Competition, particulary when it undercuts them.

2. Indolent Wretch

Don't worry what with the already existing American controls on IP infringement and the new delight that is copyright protectable APIs I'm sure Larry will be able to get them executed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle

"the unpleasant and unacceptable face of capitalism"

4. AndyFl

Another reason not to use Oracle products

Since Oracle bought Sun there has been an ongoing increase in support costs and reduction on the availability of software updates etc. They have always been difficult to deal with on their over-priced database products.

Oracle are trying to get to the stage where anyone buying anything will have to go to them for everything and pay whatever Oricle feel like charging at the time. I'm kinda surprised they haven't banned customers from using non-Oracle provided CAT5 cables!

Fortunately there are other products available from other more enlightened suppliers, the problem is stopping managers from insisting on the purchase of Cisco and Oracle products in their organisation when other lower-cost and more flexible options exist.

Andy

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Re: Another reason not to use Oracle products

"Oracle are trying to get to the stage where anyone buying anything will have to go to them for everything and pay whatever Oricle feel like charging at the time."

Is this a surprise? Oracle's modus operandi has been "lock 'em in and gouge them for every penny they're worth" for as long as I can remember.

FWIW, I used to like Oracle when they did all that nice teletext stuff- I guess Larry Ellison got hard-edged and nasty after he lost the franchise to the Daily Mail. (No, not really).

1. jinx3y

sounds strangely similar to all the i-whatever devices fruit from the tree of knowledge as its logo...ahem...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, and that's a big problem in Government and quasi-Government. I have often joked with others that Oracle has either got the best corporate entertainment going or the best private eyes in the business as I can genuinely see no reason why someone would spring for their shit. They are truly worse than Microsoft and just utter thieving bastards. Not to mention whomever designed their DB software and installers clearly hates developers and other end users as I have rarely come across such pain in the arse software to use. God what horrendous shite. I dread every day I need to deal with the crap.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess "MSPainted" isn't a verb...

If I didn't already know that Larry Ellison wasn't actually a bewigged judge, I'd never have guessed that the accompanying image might have been Photoshopped (^_^)

1. Mpeler

Re: I guess "MSPainted" isn't a verb...

Larry Red Rotten Hood

Larry, Larry, quite contrary,

How does your empire grow?

With IP "rights" and patent fights

And lawyers, all in a row.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like