back to article TfL to splash £400m on networking deal, despite GDS opposition

Transport for London (TfL) has opened its wallet and invited suppliers to reach in and grab £400m under a networking deal. The scope of the deal is for a single supplier to provide access network and wide area network services as a managed service. It'll be a "major element" of the department's plan to disaggregate its …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

Radical Option

So the original mega-contract didn't work. The new tower model of individual contracts doesn't work. So why not try option 3: Do it in-house?

1. Ragarath

Re: Radical Option

Don't be silly. If they are not seen to be using this new buzzword "outsourcing" and actually employ people for decent money they have no one to blame when it goes wrong.

2. W T Riker

I think if you look carefully the Fujitsu bods providing network support were originally London Underground bods.

1. Ragarath

That were moved to the firm where it was outsourced, Fujitsu != TfL therefore even though the people doing the work are the same it is no longer in house.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GDS think hardware networks are old fashioned

The future is virtual networks that exist only in press releases

1. Bob H

Re: GDS think hardware networks are old fashioned

Infrastructure organisation (TfL) that fails to recognise that digital networking is actually a significant part of their business. Oh the irony.

3. Trollslayer

GDS doesn't like it

So go ahead.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: GDS doesn't like it . . .

Rock the casbah, rock the casbah

4. wabbit347

Towers sound suspiciously like those 'silos' that everyone rails against in the name of cloudy agilification with leveraged buzzwords. This won't end well.

1. Warm Braw

>This won't end well

That kind of presupposes that it's working OK now.

I did once work for part of a major supplier of transport services to a metropolitan area, and that particular section believed it had a business need for some large-screen displays. The outsourced IT management made it clear that it didn't "support" displays larger than 21" (regardless of geometry or pixel density) and that if we attached such a display to one of their PCs, it would no longer be eligible for connection to the corporate network. We could, of course, buy and support our own PCs, but only on a separate network with no connection to corporate infrastructure. As it happens, for the particular application envisaged, corporate connectivity wasn't strictly necessary, but of course we couldn't get the budget to provide our own equipment or support because there was already an outsourced contractor in place whose job was to supply such things.

Also, although we were supposedly a software-development outfit, we weren't officially allowed to install development tools on corporate PCs, because they weren't on the approved software list (i.e. office productivity applications). We were, apparently, free to establish our own separate departmental IT infrastructure, but of course we couldn't get the budget because there was...

This is the kind of nonsense that has always resulted from these types of deals and I'm sure this one will simply end in business as usual.

1. chris 17 Silver badge

Re:

@warmbrew

Times that by the number if gov departments with outsourced it.

5. Andy E
    Facepalm

It's a blame game

I always thought the advantage for Government departments to outsource IT services was it moved the blame when it all goes wrong (and it will) from senior civil servants to the suppliers. It protects their pensions.

6. Robert Grant

Gartner calls it multisourcing

I have some experience of it, as I work for an IT service provider. It's not a terrible plan, but it takes a lot of time* to shake out all the communication and blame-game problems between suppliers who need to regularly interact to provide a service.

* How much time? I'll let you know when we've done it.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Gartner calls it multisourcing

"but it takes a lot of time"

but especialy with HM.GOV projects -- never enough time to actually finish and test before the next changes as decreed by the next replacement minister.

7. Tromos
    Joke

This is a great idea

If the contracted supplier fails to come up with the goods, they get locked in the tower.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Save 10% on each tower, spend 25% more on SIAM...

Hope the books balance...

9. dotdavid

"Unhelpfully, the blog post failed to go into detail as to what the official strategy now is"

Jenga?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Spaffs", not: "splash".

FFS

11. chris 17 Silver badge

Unions & pensions

the main advantage of outsourcing service provision is to reduce exposure to strike action by the unions and also stop new entrants to generous government pensions.

Once tupe'd over the crap workers are encouraged to leave and the good ones enticed to drop their generous arrangements. New workers are on worse terms than their long in the tooth co workers and the organisation generally has enough staff to cope with those that do go on strike.

One less headache for the gov agency to care about.

As a tax payer, I'd welcome the reduced cost of insourcing the work and the extra saved can go on training.

1. future research

Re: Unions & pensions

"Once tupe'd over the crap workers are encouraged to leave and the good ones enticed to drop their generous arrangements. New workers are on worse terms than their long in the tooth co workers and the organisation generally has enough staff to cope with those that do go on strike."

Having been tupe'd over to CSC in the past. I would say, generally, the good ones who can find a better job somewhere else do, and the crap workers are generally left behind. Some of the good ones waiting for a pension do stay. Whether there are enough people left to keep the systems running does not seam to be a concern, savings in labour cost more than make up for penalty's of breaching SLAs.

12. KBeee

Prey to God you NEVER have to have anything to do with TfL.

It's like trying to deal with a 1970's Labour Borough Council.

1. pompurin

Yep, they are responsible for Billions of pounds in investment yet at the same time are responsible for none of it.

13. Tubz Silver badge

Tower model doesn't work, council pen pushers not knowing what they want, too many companies mucking around blaming each other for issues and nothing getting done, while billing the taxpayers !

14. Kay_terra
    Go

What a coincidence. New Minister for Cabinet Office in place and the first major contract is let in breach of the GDS fascist regime. The dam has burst and I think the big departments will soon start to shove past the red tape and deliver what they want rather than being held up for years by the individual opinions of a small group of technology illiterates.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like