back to article Microsoft tries to paint VMware azure with disaster recovery detour

Microsoft has just taken a swipe at VMware's young cloud business. VMware markets that effort, vCloud Air, as the perfect cloud for VMware users, because it just looks like an extension of vSphere. Spinning up servers in the cloud, or shunting workloads around between servers, works just like doing those chores in your own bit …

1. W. Anderson

kill Microsoft competition by Open sourcing VMWare

VMWare should offer their vCloud air with RedHat, Suse Linux or BSD Based Operating systems solution for "almost free" for a period to compete with Microsoft Azure offerings.

VMWare would also need to heavily publicize the significant advantages of their Linux/UNIX-like based Cloud solution in reliability, scalability, performance, Return-on-Investemt and particularly security of anything from Microsoft.

The company cannot otherwise compete with Microsoft with it's hundreds of gold partners, tech media shills and direct links/influence to corporate America they - VMware - do not have.

The last alternative plan would be to make all VMWare software Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) under license that dis-allows Microsoft from stealing any code without revealing all of their own code.

1. Terafirma-NZ

Re: kill Microsoft competition by Open sourcing VMWare

I don't think they need to open source it but they need to do something fast. With Microsoft about to release Azure Stack and Nutanix (I'm willing to bet more than I have will soon as network visualization to their suite) means VMware will be left trying to sling a dozen applications to customers just to reach the same functionality but cost heroundious amounts more.

What VMware need to do it shortcut the market and release vSphere/NSX/vSAN as a combined bundle at what is currently the vSphere price and redo all the management into a simple distributed application with HTML5!!!!!! interface.

Yes VMware that many exclamation marks stop being piss heads and actually build an interface worth using that manages a management stack build properly not hacked together from so many different products.

-> bad language because its beyond a joke now and I think if things don't change the next 12 months we will see VMware become the next down trending line on EMC's sheet followed by 1000's of no longer needed employees

-> not AC because I would scream this at their CEO if I could so sick of them ignoring the market and becoming more like big daddy EMC.

1. sha1
        Coat

Re: kill Microsoft competition by Open sourcing VMWare

VMware have scored massive military contracts recently with sheer product superiority, quality, performance and support. They will pretty much do what they want. I agree their poorest area is pricing and marketing the product suites (that are so numerous they do my head in). I don't consider the cost that onerous for a business, but the updates will start adding up... VMware have only one core business and that is virtualization / cloud, Microsoft have the luxury of other areas also generating them money. VMware has little Linux based stuff to speak of, particularly in the HyperVisor these days, it was there early on in older versions in abundance, but no longer required in their core hypervisor. They had to embrace quite a bit of Windozy stuff including MSSQL / Server /AD for vSphere etc. as this is the reality in the marketplace, most companies already own and support that stuff, and are comfortable with it. VMware's future is assured thankfully, due to the US .gov. .mil. and other countries like Australia will follow suit. Then it will be Microsoft's job as usual to try and break those strangleholds or target other market sectors as they are known for, but the basic hypervisors are becoming commodities these days, like Citrix XenServer, and MS are lagging big-time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like