back to article WD silently murders Arkeia backupware

WD has admitted it is killing off its Arkeia backup software product: it is no longer selling it to new customers and stopping development. Privately-owned Arkeia was bought by Western Digital in January 2013, bringing WD its deduplicating Network Backup software product and technology. It was placed inside WD’s Branded …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

The feel when...

Damn, I remember this from 2000, with backup to DAT tapes on an early Red Hat Linux. It was Java-based and a bit flaky (along the lines of "is something happening? is it stuck? why doesn't it repaint the screen??").

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The feel when...

Does/did Arkeia do anything that Bacula or Zmanda can't do?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It does/did more or less what other commercial backup software does (eg backing up vSphere VMs via snapshots, dedup, etc - I don't know if Bacula etc do that, I haven't looked in an eternity).

I don't think arkeia was ever java-based. In the earlier days it had a very funky X11 interface which had a lot of focus on rounded windows etc; possibly less on ease of use. For a long time now it's had a fairly decent web-based interface, though.

It worked pretty well but I guess I knew nothing good could come of the WD acquisition...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Windows

I checked. In the extremely detailed manual of 2000, we find:

X11 graphics user interface

This module is the interface between the backup server and the user. IIt may be installed on any machine, but is usually located on the backup server. The interface consists of an independent group of X11 client programs which can be displayed on any X11 server (R4, R5, R6) or graphics workstation. It ergonomic characteristics (colors, fonts, images...) can be fully configured interactively to provide maximum user comfort. A proprietary software display technology is implemented to prevent the slow, cumbersome features and excessive use of resources typically found in X11/Motif applications, at the same time providing unique function capabilities (animated icons, toolbar, context-sensitive menus, real-photo Vu-meters, tips, multi-language features...).

JAVA graphics user interface

This module is the interface between the backup server and the user. It may be installed on any machine, but is usually located on the backup server. The interface consists of an independent group of JAVA client programs which can be displayed on any workstation using NETSCAPE or MS Explorer. It ergonomic characteristics (colors, fonts, images...) can be fully configured interactively to provide maximum user comfort. A proprietary software display technology is implemented to prevent the slow, cumbersome features and excessive use of resources, at the same time providing unique function capabilities (animated icons, toolbar, context-sensitive menus, real-photo Vu-meters, tips, multi-language features...).

Hardware requirement

Arkeia has the following minimum hardware requirements: A computer capable of running your operating system. 32 MB RAM. SCSI tape drive. A SCSI tape drive is required for high speed positioning of the tape during restore operations. In the near future, the requirement for a SCSI tape drive will be removed and direct support of Travan and floppy based, and QIC tape drives will be implemented. This will allow high speed operation for all tape drives, SCSI and non SCSI alike.

There wasn't much focus on "rounded windows" either (in Motif/X11 an unlikely thing) but it had some weird styling indicating that the designer might have previously made games for Amiga or Atari ST:

Drivepacks: The Window!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Another version (possibly later than the above screenshot) did have X11 windows which were composed of overlaid rounded elements (always possible in X11, oclock is the most trivial example) but although we likely still have some documentation or media still around, I can't find it now. The overall amiga gaming aesthetic was still present though! It was almost comical, though to be fair after they switched to their new web interface it became quite nicely slick and functional.

2. jibanes

Zmanda is the defacto standard for backups, superior to commvault and other commercial backup software.

3. W. Anderson

Does there still exist "Free/open Source Software (FOSS) versions of Arkeia?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like