back to article Seagate bleeding sales as PC downturn starts to hit hard

Just like QLogic, Seagate sales figures have taken a dive along with the PC sales downturn, and it's had to issue preliminary results to warn the market. For its fourth fiscal 2015 quarter, instead of the expected $3.2-$3.3bn, it thinks it will make just $2.9bn. It expects to report unit shipments of approximately 45 million …

1. Mikel

Everyone will be praying Windows 10 rights the wobbling PC ship

I have some bad news...

2. 45RPM Silver badge

I used to prefer Rodime and Connor in my builds, and now I prefer Western Digital. With my track record on Winchester purchases, I’d say that Seagate with weather the storm - and WD will be going bust!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a chance

... of Win10 doing anything to help PC sales. Once upon a time when there was a need for a new PC or a new O/S to manage new hardware, Windoze would drive huge PC sales. Those days died back around Windoze 7 or earlier. Seagate has been hoping the gullible would continue buying HDDs for the Cloud but reality has set in and most folks understand the Cloud is just a farce.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Just $2.9bn

Erm, *just* $2.9bn?

That there is what's wrong with business these days.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money.

2. theblackhand

How about:

2013-2014: US$3.4b

2014-2014: US$2.9b

Growth: around -15%

I don't see anything that will stop the decline - as capacities increase, research costs increase and sales remain reasonably flat.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"significantly lower than full year 2013's $14.4bn"

When I look at the graph provided, I see that it is "significantly" higher than 2011 revenues, which were apparently around $11 billion.

So quit your whining and get back to work.

Oh, yeah , I forgot. This is the finance market - if you don't do 110% every month, you're a useless piece of dung. Even when you still made $3 more than your lowest 5-year figure.

If only financial analysts were treated the same way.

6. Howard Hanek
    Coat

Hybrid Drives

Hybrid SSD/Winchester drives are the future.

7. Ilsa Loving
    FAIL

Because of "PC Sales"

Right, they're losing money because of the pc sales downturn.

It's not at all because they make hard drives that are so shockingly unreliable that it's a wonder they're still in business at all.

1. Nigel 11

Re: Because of "PC Sales"

Surely not so much the PC downturn, as the SSD upturn? Who wants a 250Gb HD when they can have an affordable 250Gb SSD?

8. john devoy

Seagate also got a bad reputation lately for the quality of their HDDs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like