back to article Infosec bigwigs rally against US cyber export control rule

Infosec heavyweights are uniting to oppose US government proposals to tighten up export controls against software exploits, a move critics argue threatens to imperil mainstream security research and information sharing. The proposed regulation, based on the Wassenaar Arrangement of 1996 and not originally intended to include …

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Go home, USA, you're drunk.

1. asdf

if only

Its not the alcohol. Few sound more clueless about tech than the teetotaler Mormon Orrin Hatch who believes destruction of computers is the answer to piracy. And he actually has some real power.

Re: if only

Who says it's alcohol. The US is drunk on it's own overinflated sense of exceptionalism!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Canada's signed up to the Wassenaar Arrangement too, it'll be interesting to see their interpretation of it.

That is going to depend entirely on whether or not we kick out that nutjob Harper while still managing to keep the traitorous coward Trudeau from office. If either wingus or dingus get in charge, we're pretty much screwed.

2. asdf

>The US is drunk on it's own overinflated sense of exceptionalism!

Europe has all kinds of problems with unity right now and all but having neighbor countries that are your peers does a lot to show the population there are other countries, languages, cultures out there that might even do something things better than you. Everything south of the US in the hemisphere (with a few exceptions) is pretty much dangerous to visit and 3rd world or nearly so and Canada is like America lite in many ways (many of them better but still) with a lot more nature resources than people. The isolation does little to counteract the jingoism and propaganda.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Go home, USA, you're drunk.

This coming from a Canadian eh...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New business model?

Perhaps in the same way many dangerous weapons can be freely purchased and owned in Amerika, vulnerabilities and exploits will now only be available to Amerikan scumware writers, spies, LEAs, drive-by artists spammers and other low-life. And as long as you don't let those nasty vulns and their cures leave the country (shhhhh! and don't you tell anybody that you have them), then you will be left alone. But let some foreign malware writer get his hands on this technology, and you will be in for a heap of federal hurt, boy.

It is such a stupid idea that it almost makes sense.

When will these people have their life-support systems unplugged? What will it take for these dickwads to stop legislating on things they clearly do not understand? A complete cyber meltdown?

I am honestly losing hope. The only other explanation I can think of is that the US Government WANTS to encourage the proliferation of cyber crime. Or is my tinfoil on too tight? Please HELP !

1. davemcwish

Re: New business model?

"The only other explanation I can think of is that the US Government WANTS to encourage the proliferation of cyber crime. Or is my tinfoil on too tight? Please HELP !"

It not that at all. What I suspect Governments want is whatever oversight of the populous that they want (not need); North Korea-lite if you will providing just enough freedom to stop them revolting. If as a side product of the removal of that dangerous weapon we call encryption, cyber crime increases, then, as long as it doesn't impact their tax revenues, it's someone else's problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon