back to article HP tops HPC charts, former Big Blue biz not so super

HP has consolidated its position at the top of the HPC tree this year, after IBM’s protracted offloading of its x86 server business to Lenovo spooked customers and stalled purchases. IDC said the market was flat in 2014 at $10.2bn compared to $10.3bn the previous year, with the IBM/Lenovo transition delaying purchases and …

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

IBM has given up on HPC IMHO.

IBM, having dropped the IH systems, and having sold off the iDataplex and NextScale systems, and there being no obvious successor to BlueGene/Q appear to have lost interest in HPC.

I know that there are supposed Power 9 hybrid systems in the pipeline for Oak Ridge and Lawrence Livermore in 2017, but at this time, these both look like vapour-ware, there being only limited details of either the Power9 processor or the Volta GPU. As we found out with Blue Waters, such projects don't always deliver.

Both the Top500 and the article are incorrect about IBM's market share. It's actually less than stated, as the ECMWF P7 775s at 108 and 109 are no longer there (and were actually turned off for the last time something like a year ago), and before the November list, the UKMO systems at 140 and 169 will also be decommissioned. This will drop IBM down the list still further, with no obvious real big systems in the pipeline for the next year or more to push them up the list!

For me, it will be a sad day when the UKMO P7 775 systems are turned off, because it also means that I will be looking for a new assignment.

Any offers?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like