back to article Storage unicorns and their hyped-up horns

A venture-capitalist-tracking website has revealed a list of unicorns, which are startups valued at a billion dollars or more. Eight storage companies are in the list; does this mean a glorious outcome for them? The CB Insights’ list contained these familiar names: Dropbox at $10bn (£6.4bn), and hence a “decacorn” Cloudera …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

I fail to see what's really new about Infinidat - just another ZFS on effectively white box hw solution. Pure has way too much of a cult vibe for my tastes, too. If I bought from them, I'd probably later be found cleaning carpets clad in an orange jumpsuit with a vacuous grin.

2. SebastianT

Pure took so much venture capital at such high valuations that they'll need an epic IPO to pay back the VCs. That said, I heard they're shooting for this fall. No sign of an S1 yet, though.

3. Kubla Cant
    Headmaster

What is or are "proboscii"?

The singular noun is proboscis. The root of the word is Greek, but it seems to have attained its current form in Latin. Regular Latin nouns ending -is have a nominative plural ending -es, so the inflected plural would be probosces. As we're speaking and writing modern English, it might be safer to say "proboscises".

Contrary to widespread belief on the Interwebs, no Latin words are pluralised by adding "ii" to their root. This fallacy probably arises from plurals like radii, but the "i" in radius is part of the root, not the inflected ending, and it is invariant through all cases and numbers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like