back to article SDN hits rock bottom and FCoE is obsolete, say Gartner mages

Fibre channel over Ethernet is obsolete and software-defined networking is making users grumpy rather than delivering promised benefits, according to the new networking version of Gartner's Hype Cycle. The document reckons Wi-Fi's next variant, 802.11ac Wave 2, is just half-way up Gartner's famed hype curve, but Wave 1 and 802 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

what?

I'd love to watch Gartner put tech in a blender to generate reports like this...not.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2.5/5 Gb ethernet?

Never heard of it. What's the point, with 10 Gb ethernet so affordable, especially 10 GbaseT?

1. Richard 26

Re: 2.5/5 Gb ethernet?

It runs over cat 5, so gives you a little more bandwith for something like an 802.11ac AP, without redoing your flood wiring. All pre-standard at this time though.

3. astrax

SDN isn't even a thing yet

Not sure I agree entirely with this assessment. My biggest gripe is that, in the context of this report at least, SDN is touted as a standardised piece of tech. It's really not. Sure, the big boys are stating that their fancy pants hardware does support Openflow, but ultimately they are pushing their proprietary SDN solution (which is, of course, better?).

5-10 years until the SDN dust settles and then we might appreciate more realistic expectations.

4. nilfs2
    Facepalm

long-distance live virtual machine migration obsolete?

They lost me there.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trust Gartner

When Gartner talks about the "trough of disillusionment" you should pay attention, Gartner epitomizes it.

6. hackenb

Gartner hits rock bottom ...

... and is obsolete for a long time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like