back to article HDS storage is faring better than EMC's trad arrays, reckons analyst

HDS storage revenues are declining, but not as much as EMC's core storage business. Joe Tucci's business is doing better in its move to add business outside its trad arrays and HDS is mounting an Internet of Things catch-up, looking to store and analyse the hoped-for IoT data deluge. According to Stifel MD Aaron Rakers, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Candidate for Worst Graph Ever

What a misleading graph. EMC's storage revenue is >4x of HDS's. Come on Reg, you can do better than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Candidate for Worst Graph Ever

Read the Y axes much?

QED on your point.

This is about who's managing the decline of the enterprise array best. Proportionally, HDS isn't losing as much, but I agree with you in so far as EMC have a far larger starting point, proportionally are losing much more revenue. This is all about the commodity tier until the successor to the enterprise array (give me a call in about ten years or so) is in vogue again.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I did read the Y-Axes and consider it poor practise to use both left and right for values that use the same unit but are off-set unless this is made clear in the body of the graph. (Often done by using jagged lines to show the gap/rip.) Whether on purpose or by accident the graph, on a cursory examination, gives a very false impression. I think the whole tier one 'big iron' storage segment will have a 'long tail' as it is embedded with many businesses most critical infrastructures. EMC bought DG and Hitachi introduced their own modular storage (AMS->HUS) because the storage market was evolving. I agree it will be hard to pick a winner in the managed decline of this segment inside 10 years. The likely outcome is EMC will continue being it's own worst enemy and Hitachi will continue to have some fairly solid products, late and expensive, but middle of the pack capability wise. I guess a lot will depend on what Mr Tucci leaves behind as an alternative to the current 'Federation'. (Other sci-fi franchises may be plagiarised, or not ...). It remains a high stakes game.

2. Stephen McLaughlin

I believe the graph represents only the high-end storage (VMAX/VNX). If that is is the case, the numbers match up with reported revenue. As the article states, the revenue from their traditional large storage arrays continues to decline.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also remember EMC is actively canabalising it's vmax business with XtremIo. So maybe you could argue 30% of the loss is self inflicted. Not sure if HDS are driving a similar strategy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon