back to article How many Win 10 PCs were in distribution the week before launch?

In the week leading up to the launch of Windows 10 there were zero PCs pre-installed with the new operating system sat in a warehouse awaiting a new home. Not one. For past releases of Microsoft OSs at least 20 per cent of computers at wholesalers came loaded with the software, but times have changed. Context Research – which …

1. Dr Paul Taylor
    Linux

Any good stuff?

> Lenovo, for example, has written off a substantial amount of stock in Western Europe.

Every word I have read on El Reg about Windows 10 over the past fortnight has made me bl**dy glad that I am a Linux user. There does not seem to have been a single polite comment even from M$'s captive market.

If Lenovo is chucking stuff out because the sheep don't like it, does The Channel have anything to recommend to users of other operating systems?

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Any good stuff?

You can tell that the Windows 10 release hasn't been a disaster due to the lack of coverage on El Reg. If there were issues cropping up, this hotbed of Linux Master Racists would be all over it like a bad suit.

That being said, I was perfectly happy on 8.1 on my desktop.

With this being one of my first comments, I expect to set a new record for downvotes to upvotes for an account.

1. James 51

'With this being one of my first comments, I expect to set a new record for downvotes to upvotes for an account.'

You forgot the troll icon but as you're new I'll let it go. Asking for upvotes rarely works. Downvotes, well it depends. You'll need to try harder than that though if you want to set any records.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Not new per se, been reading for a couple of years. Finally annoyed enough at the guys complaining about Win10 to bother activating my account.

2. Hollerith 1

ArrZarr, you'll have to do better than that if you want record downvotes. But nice try!

3. c:\boot.ini

Posts by ArrZarr

1 post • joined 6 Aug 2015

Nuff said.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Win X adoption picking up...

It is as popular as belly button, every new born baby has its own and analysts expect each human being on our planet is getting one. You wouldn't want your baby without it, would you ?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Belly Button

I wouldn't go too far with that analogy. Has any owner of a belly button ever found a real, as opposed to contrived use for it?

That said, my first experience with a Win 10 laptop (upgraded at its owner's insistence) was actually quite favourable. Everything seemed to work apart from sound, and this was cured by pressing the "update driver" button.

P.S. Didn't see any buttons marked "belly", so unable to comment on their efficacy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Last I checked, the belly button had/has a very good, non contrived, use between the ages of approx. -9 months to 0, wrt birth date. After that, it's a useful fuzz bucket, or interesting beverage holder. But that might be contrived... I also find it interesting that 'still working' is considered a favorable outcome. I would have thought that's the baseline, from which something on top of use must be added in order for it to be favorable. Especially since you are likely, given what I have heard, giving up on privacy and/or control of your own equipment...

1. hplasm
          Devil

Win 10, like the belly button, only has a use when connected firmly to the mothership.

If not, it's just a curiosity.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Stop Press

Second W10 job I've got to pick up tomorrow is back to your normal typical Windows problems: Not booting, not wanting to do anything on the menu really. It's a Dell Inspiron W7 Home Premium. It sounds as if the upgrade didn't go all the way because it's still reporting itself as W7 when it briefly says hello.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Stop Press

We are on version 10 of what should by now be a mature product and Microsoft still haven't got to grips with the concept of there being three (not two) states to updating pc's. Those states being Successful, Unsuccessful, and Limbo (needing a rollback). This is particularly important when dealing with Consumer pc's, where (1) the owner might interrupt something that's happening even though the process categorically tells them not to (2) they do not have the skills or equipment to figure out a recovery strategy.

With the Windows 10 rollout: How long did the testing phase go on for? How many testers had this problem?

For the record, the laptop that had the limbo problem was a Dell Inspiron N5110. The failure message was C1900101-3000D Unknown Error.

3. Mage Silver badge

14 Million eh?

About 0.6% of PCs.

4. jamesb2147

"...Here's three reasons why."

Tongue in f*$&ing cheek?! We can only hope.

FOR THE LOVE OF $deity, EL REG, STOP THIS CLICK-BAIT NONSENSE, YOU'RE KILLING MY SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL!!!!!!

Seriously, though, if this shit keeps up without an explanation, I'm going to take your sorry butts out of my RSS reader.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

MS is playing its part....

with one of the silliest adverts I've seen in a long time (just on C5 during Cricket Highlights)

After the hammering England gave to the Aussies today I had to laugh at the Advert.

6. YARR

Since my main PC at home runs Linux, I could afford to take a gamble on Windows 10 (as it's non-essential). So I took advantage of one of the recent offers from Lenovo. After fitting an SSD and clean installing Windows 10 (thanks MS for the downloadable ISO) it runs smoothly and is a big improvement over Win8.1 (without Lenovo malware/crudware).

Despite the barrage of Windows 10 criticism on el Reg, fundamentally Windows 10 looks to be a usable successor to 7 as a desktop OS, but it can also be used in tablet mode to replace Win8 on touch devices. I expect once those remaining issues are fixed, few Win 7 or 8 users will have reason not to accept the free upgrade.

How usable Windows is depends on how you use it. Personally I think having apps sorted A-Z on the Start menu is a benefit since you don't have to spend time arranging them and you can find apps quicker on other people's PCs. Besides any app you use regularly, you would pin to the taskbar.

It wouldn't surprise me if, next time the average home user upgrades, a surface type device running Windows 10 could replace the function of both a tablet and a laptop, with the advantage of an OS that gets reliable software updates. I wouldn't have said that for Windows 8, but for 10 it's possible.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@YARR - Can you please tell us again

what was the point in mentioning Linux and then praising Windows 10 ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like