back to article Google's Euro-cloud in lengthy disk degradation drama

Users of Google Compute Engine's Persistent Disks in the europe-west1-b region have endured an anxious few hours, as the service has experienced a lengthy brown-out. Persistent Disks are data stores that exist independently of virtual machines and retain data whatever the state of the VM. One can store data in a Persistent …

1. SecretSonOfHG

Now for the usual cloud rants...

So as a service to The Reg, saving some disk space and bandwidth here: "anyone that trusts that cloud thing to keep essential data is crazy", "this is why I'll never ever move anything to the cloud", "that's what you get when you follow management's advice about moving your data to the cloud", "now it is the time to remind them how much they were saving by moving things to the cloud", "your service is interrupted and you can't even talk to an human being about it" and the mandatory "they not only spy on your data, now your data is hostage to their services"

Not saying that all these issues are real and apply to all situations, but this is an old debate. Anything else I've missed?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now for the usual cloud rants...

Yes, getting out of the right side of bed this morning?

1. Little Mouse

Re: Now for the usual cloud rants...

You forgot to name-drop one of the big Cloud players. That always provokes a few pages of ranting from the frothing-at-the-mouth brigade.

Someone else might still do it and all your preventative rhetoric will have been for nothing.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The turf cutters may have got sun burnt and knocked off earlu

europe-west1-b is in Offaly, power comes from a peat burning station, Wednesday was the sunny day in Ireland, brown out follows the next day > QED

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The turf cutters may have got sun burnt and knocked off earlu

Are you suggesting that it stopped raining for a short time?!

3. Nate Amsden

this is not why I don't put things in public cloud

Maybe I am considered one of the ranters.

Anyway I don't care as much about the "headline outages", what caused me more grief was the daily pain associated with built to fail infrastructure(then there was the massive lack of capabilities that enterprise infrastructure takes for granted). I imagine perhaps it was like a full body rash(never having had such a thing), constantly irritating all over.

SaaS generally doesn't have that issue since users aren't exposed to the faulty nature of the infrastructure(assuming it is built on faulty infrastructure in the first place) and don't have to build around it.

IaaS is a cluster fuck though, always has been, really don't see the situation changing much.

PaaS - yet to meet someone that uses it (though I haven't tried to find someone either)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: this is not why I don't put things in public cloud

Busy camping in France this weekend and the local wifi uses google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as their DNS servers.

Everything wifi (external name lookups) crapped out Friday afternoon and is still not responding this Saturday morning. I have since manually entered a different DNS server www.open-dns.com and now surf without a worry. Coincidence ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like