back to article Amazon putting London’s hipster startups in the loft

Amazon is to open a support centre for AWS users in London – the first of its kind outside the company's Seattle base. The purveyor of cloud and tat is to open a “Loft” – or tech support space to you and me – in East London in the September to support a number of tech startups. London is apparently the obvious choice to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'the first of its kind outside its Seattle base'

apart from the ones in New York and San Francisco that you mention later?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it's the first one of its kind apart from all the others.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

"It will also open a shop in Berlin in October." - just in time for Oktoberfest, er I mean those scheduled startup meetings.

3. John Styles

Ah, 'Just Eat', flagship of our thriving tech sector.

America:

Google

Amazon

Microsoft

IBM

Oracle

UK:

Just Eat

Crappy Short Term Lender (slogan 'our tech's cool but our ads are annoying and we're scum')

Er.

That's It.

[Ed]

4. Erik4872

Just cashing in on Bubble 2.0

Back in the 90s, most of these cloud-based startups would have had to put up lots of cash to build out or colocate in a data center. For us regular geeks, when that bubble popped, we had our choice of horrendously expensive equipment, Aeron chairs, etc. for pennies on the dollar. Now Amazon, Microsoft, etc. are going to have all that gear and it'll be all for naught. The public cloud is also allowing these startups to last longer than they normally would have, given they only have to pay monthly for their usage.

5. Phuq Witt
    Thumb Down

"vapor" cloud

You don't even make a token gesture at proof-reading sometimes, do you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like