back to article LA explosion knocks LogMeIn's British customers offline

An explosion in Los Angles last night triggered a power blackout and data centre outage, which led to a knock-on impact for UK customers of LogMeIn today, who were left unable to access remote desktop services, The Register can reveal. The explosion in a Los Angeles high rise hospitalised two people and caused a power blackout …

1. CAPS LOCK

A remote access company without automatic fail-over...

... amateurs.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: A remote access company without automatic fail-over...

... amateurs.

Not necessarily. Automatic DR fail-over is a mistake often made by amateurs. It may be viable when your secondary data centre is a few blocks away, where you can have guaranteed redundant links and synchronous replication or mirroring, but that's more a case of High Availability than Disaster Recovery. It's a very bad idea when your DR site is 500+ miles away.

If you've ever experienced a major disaster, like an earthquake or flood, you'll know that it can be hours before you really know what's going on. Having the IT systems start their own recovery while the business continuity staff are rolling out the BC plan to the company, can make things much worse. A switchover to a remote site can take a long time, when it involves things like fsck, database recovery/restart, DNS updates, etc. You don't want to do it unless you have to.

Indeed, that could be what happened here, an over-eager decision (manual or automatic) to switch to the remote site, when if they had simply waited for the backup power to come in they could have had just a 5-minute outage like Shania Twain.

1. Halfmad

Re: A remote access company without automatic fail-over...

I'll go further, if you have staff on-site 24/7 automatic fail-over isn't required and the staff on the ground should make the decision. It can often be faster to recover to normal service, with less disruption if you don't.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Clouds

"But now they only block the sun. They rain and snow on everyone. So many things I would have done...".

3. robidy

Shania Twain also had issues at a live concert...

....caused by the same explosion in a tower block.

She was not however out for 4 hours.

Does this mean Logmein's primary datacentre has no on site generators?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Caff

Re: Shania Twain also had issues at a live concert...

The concert would only need localised power to continue. A data centre may indeed kick back in with its UPS and generators, however if the explosion also knocked out the various telecoms exchanges between it and the rest of the world then it doesn't matter much if the data centre is back online.

1. Richard Jones 1
        Flame

Wow, either the USA networks run to very different standards to the rest of the world, or standards are different through UK Europe the Middle East and the Far east in which locations I worked. A fire in a single building should never kill whole networks over a wide area, transmission suppliers should have their own back up capabilities.

An earth quake might be and was a different story.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

The standard in the US is known as "cheap bastards."

Ain't capitalism grand? Now about that cloud thing...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

"outage in one of our primary data centers"

"We began a roll over to our other global data centre"

Translation: All they had were a few servers in those two DCs? Does "roll over" mean "spin up a VPS and restore from last week's backup"?

Are they still running it like a free service?

4. Killing Time

Is it true?

Shania then segued into a cover of 'I Feel The Earth Move' ?

1. robidy

Re: Is it true?

Nah she was in the middle of Man I fell like a woman as the power went off.

5. sabroni Silver badge

re: Fragility of the cloud exposed by unexpected high-rise detonation

Surely they'd have been in a worse position if they hadn't been cloudy and the data centre taken out was their only one.

6. Stevie

Bah!

Wot, no generators?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

It's not always about power, living in an earthquake zone I had to point out in a disaster review meeting once that any earthquake that took out our control centre and systems would likely mean all out infrastructure was compromised to the point we wouldn't be running anything for weeks while inspections were completed and general telecom infrastructure would be out as well so a multi million alternative out of region backup would be of little value in terms of quick recovery in that instance. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

That said there were other scenarios that would justify it, just not the 'big one' happening any day soon, though that was the preferred excuse as there was funding and grants available for earthquake resilience at the time.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Bah!

General telecoms also has backup and redundancy.

At least, it does in the EU - it's a legal requirement of being a telco.

Perhaps that's not true in 3rd world countries.

So if you pay for "last mile" redundancy yourself (separated links to different exchanges), you're covered for most.

7. nsld
    Mushroom

So this begs the question

What would you need to blow up to stop Shania Twain?

As for logmein words like "geographical dispersal" and "fail over" apparently aren't in the DR plan.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So this begs the question

Hmmm - "blow up" "Shania Twain". Now I'm confused - does this involve explosives or cheaply printed vinyl?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So this begs the question

Or Chapstick?

8. Chris G

Back up and redundancy!

See title

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Room 641A

The explosion was in the wrong city.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange.....

That it only affected UK customers.

11. Dan Mansfield

Fallback

Rob Lee - we use LMI Central and have hundreds of clients on it but as soon as we couldn't use it we just started using Team Viewer during the downtime. Any customer with a problem just installs the quick support client and away you go.

IT Support companies should have backup too in case of supplier failure.

12. Davie Dee

Are there any UK customers left since they kicked all their long term free users off it?

Teamviewer works fine thanks

13. Rusty 1
    Meh

Resilience

Lost complete power (i.e. grid supplies (all of them), batteries, and generators all failed) and possibly other critical services in one site.

OK, that's into disaster recovery mode. That's something that is practised a few times year, surely, for such a professional outfit. They've surely switched to (one of) their secondary data centre(s), and resumed service with hardly a blip. Perhaps a 50ms impact. Hardly a noticeable.

Oh, sorry, this is the cloud, not telcos who generally know what they are doing, and know what an SLA is, and what the regulatory impact of failing to meet 5+ 9s availability means.

Oh, you didn't pay for 5 9s availability? Well shout and scream at the hand, because the face is targeting the profitable part of the client base.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

The comforting thing with using the cloud...

Is that if your virtual data centre goes pop, the same might be true for your competitors. Misery shared is misery halved, and all that.

I'm amazed the cloud companies don't push this in their advertisements.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One might also ask

If it's a business critical service for their clients then why didn't their clients also have redundancy in their business plans?

16. stewwy

I used to work for a company that made Data centre power backups (ups and diesel gennies combined,'Active Power', nice company to work for).

Why they didn't have that, or something similar reeks somewhat of incompetance.

I'm willing to bet other similar companies in the area DID have something in place and their customers wouldn't have even noticed.

17. Leeroy

ScreenConnect

One off payment with unlimited clients and you can host it yourself on a Centos vm. Left log me in and teamviewer 12 months ago and not missed them one bit. The connection for new clients is faster as well.

18. druck Silver badge
    Happy

Scams

Well that's 50% of Windows support scams off the air, any chance it could affect Teamviewer too, and put them out of business completely?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LogMeIn can lick my balls

After roping people in, then cutting everyone off who didn't pay a fee, then all I can say is Karma is a bitch yo.

Teamviewer FTW.

20. robidy

Down again I see

Down again, can't see any reports of a fire in a basement...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon