back to article EMC Federation's attack blogger Chuck Hollis departs for Oracle

Chuck Hollis, VMware's chief strategist for storage and availability, and former EMC global marketing chief technology officer, has announced he's leaving the EMC Federation for a gig as senior veep at Oracle. Hollis has, of course, blogged the move. And from his emc.com blog, no less. Hollis was comfortably the EMC …

1. Nate Amsden

market not buying the story

seems that may not be the case, the way I read it anyway, from el reg's story

"Sales of new software licenses [..] down 16.7 per cent, year on year."

"But new license revenue for the year was $8.54bn, down 9.4 per cent annually."

then

"Hardware systems sales were down 6 per cent in Q4 and down 5 per cent for the full year"

So new hardware sales down less than new software.

I'll be pretty shocked if Chuck can somehow (single handedly?) make Oracle's stuff "exciting". His EMC blog posts didn't seem all that great to me back in those days, I never bothered to follow him when he moved to VMware (nothing against him, I haven't really followed any bloggers the past 3 or even 4 years now, myself have mostly stopped blogging as well, very little in tech excites me these days)

2. Doogie Howser MD

Hopefully things will ratchet down a bit now..

Now that Duncan has taken the wheel, here's hoping we can park the attack dogs and recognise that there is room in the storage market for lots of vendors, not just two high profile ones throwing grenades at each other.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hopefully things will ratchet down a bit now..

Don't bet on it. Epping's Epistles are legendary, and he has zero qualms about attacking not only a company that dares compete with him/his friends but the individuals who work there. The pit bull was replaced with a viper.

1. Cloud 9

Re: Hopefully things will ratchet down a bit now..

"The pit bull was replaced with a viper."

Pfffttt

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Move along

Big-mouthed bully joins company of big-mouthed bullies...?

Nothing to see here.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I agree with the end of the article. Hollis came out so strong for so many years with the unmistakable message that everything EMC makes is amazing, everything everyone else makes sucks. It is difficult to see him now taking the tone that Exadata is really the way to go instead of VBlock or the like. He loses all credibility the minute he leaves EMC and friends.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like