back to article Ed Snowden crocked cloud, says VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Edward Snowden crocked the cloud for everyone, says VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger. Speaking at VMworld 2015 today in San Francisco, Gelsinger said he once assumed that organizations would decide to work with an infrastructure-as-a-service company, a platform-as-a-service supplier, and some software-as-a-service outfits, and then …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snowden? Or the NSA/GCHQ/etc

I don't think Snowden is responsible for the intelligence agencies fucking us all, except for what he was paid for (by the agencies) before his revelation.

1. streaky

Re: Snowden? Or the NSA/GCHQ/etc

100% not Snowden. Snowden just told us what we all feared anyway.

The problem for "cloud" is there's no technical solution to the problem minus not putting data in certain regions.

2. David 132 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Blame where it's due.

Seems unfair to blame Snowden - the blame surely lies with the various countries' spy agencies and their all-your-data-is-belong-to-us attitude.

All Snowden did was make it very, very clear what was going on. It's up to each of us now to make the judgement call - either "eh, everyone spies on everyone else, it's a fact of life, deal with it"... or "store my valuable data in the cloud? Why wouldn't I just save time and mail it directly to GCHQ/NSA/...? No way José!" according to preference/paranoia level.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dynamite

The real dynamite was laid down long before Snowden was even in his first job... You can all say thank you to Uncle Sam for that catastrophe. Now bow down whilst we verify your anal passages for "terrorist" threats....

I wonder who the real terrorists actually are, the so called savages of the desert or the power greedy animals that control the banks/media etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dynamite

Some people suspect that terrorists are needed to keep the Three Letter Agencies in business; so if they don't exist they will be made.

See Voltaire:"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him"

4. Gary Bickford

Full encryption, all the time - possible, but hard

One way to protect data from snooping is to maintain it in encrypted form, not just 'at rest' in hard drives etc., but in computer memory and even in processing. This sounds impossible, but it's not - quite. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homomorphic_encryption. This fairly new science or methodology performs all the minimal required computational activities - add, multiply, boolean ops, etc. - on encrypted data using encrypted algorithms. It was long thought impossible but now has been proven to work at least to some extent. IDK if Turing-completeness has been shown.

This methodology would allow a dataset and all of its operations be unsnoopable, even in a compromised computer whose memory can be read by a third party. I believe that this will eventually become an essential tool for the post-human set. A computer intelligence or 'uploaded human' is basically a large complex 'agent' that can move itself around the cloud, and process its functions on any computer in the cloud. But to maintain its identity it _must_ have boundaries, _must_ be able to keep secrets about its internal state. To do so in a complex unpredictable cloud where the agent (or components thereof) may be running on any computer anywhere, every bit of information within the agent must be protected even from memory dumps. AFAIK homomorphic encryption is the only way to assure that.

There is a huge price, which will make computer makers happy. Unless I'm wrong, or quantum computing or something takes over, this method will require two, three, or four orders of magnitude more processing power to accomplish any task.

1. streaky

Re: Full encryption, all the time - possible, but hard

Homomorphic Encryption is absurd - it isn't computationally useful unless you like pretending it's the 1940's on extremely powerful and expensive hardware; and it will likely always be thus (nobody can see a path through the quagmire and it's not like it's going to magically appear and even if it does it's decades away).

The solution to this particular technical problem is a legal one; and that looks decades away too.

1. scrubber
        Flame

"The solution to this particular technical problem is a legal one"

I think much of what the spy agencies were doing was already illegal so I don't see how new laws are going to improve the situation. Especially when you've got clowns like Obama refusing to prosecute people who ordered and/or committed acts of torture on detainees because, well, 'we need to look forward as opposed to looking backwards'. Not to mention the raft of retroactive laws the UK are trying to pass to make previously illegal acts legal.

But I suppose since Obama has expanded domestic spying into an authoritarian's wet dream he wanted to ensure there was precedence for not prosecuting the previous administration's Constitutional abuses.

1. streaky

Re: "The solution to this particular technical problem is a legal one"

I said it's a legal problem not that it needs new law. It needs civilian oversight and courts willing and capable of enforcing the existing law. Neither of those are true today.

The US has a separate problem in which none of it's legal protections apply to non-US citizens outside the US - even if that changes we're a long way from them acknowledging that's even a problem (and killing their tech sector by not using it is probably an way to start clearing that up).

5. Ole Juul

Freedom 1, Capitalism 2.

I'm having a hard time seeing it that way. If we must use that comparison then I'd say it's more like the other way around. Didn't Capitalism lose a point by being reigned in by new data sovereignty laws? Didn't Freedom win a point by striking a blow against those who would take our freedoms away?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Ole Juul Re: Freedom 1, Capitalism 2.

"....Didn't Capitalism lose a point by being reigned in by new data sovereignty laws?...." Well, not really. The Big Biz chaps still needed to work Worldwide, so they bought more systems to make more clouds to fit the local laws (or just paid insultants to make it look like their big cloud was actually several small clouds and pretended no data was shared). The insultancy companies and resellers all went bananas with the salespitch around the idea Big Biz now needed several clouds rather than one, neatly solving their previous problem of "how do you sell a second cloud to a company you have already sold one to?" And the "security" insultants selling encryption software/hardware have thanked $DEITY for Ed Snowjoke. It's a bit like the Y2K bug - a lot of hot air, a lot of saleswork, a lot of legislation, and a LOT of money, made off a relatively minor problem.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    WTF?

Capricious

That's the only word to describe the ever more tenuous claims of harm supposedly done by Ed.

7. MikeGale

The problem was created by over-reaching organs of the state. It would leak eventually. Glad it's leaked already not in future. (The states are guaranteed to leak our data and are doing so frequently. So many were living in an idiot's paradise.) Don't blame Snowden, the messenger.

-10 for that company. (Thought failure)

Unfortunately many nation states are now moving to guarantee that insecurity endures, they hope perpetually. Not the fault of freedom loving people who understand this world.

Beginning of the Computocalypse?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*aaS

Another Areshole Service

or more Snake oil from a Snake Oil Vendor. move along, nothing new to see. There's a good chap

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The poor little things

"multinational businesses will need to pick a collection of suppliers that comply with various jurisdictions' requirements"

As opposed to their usual attitude of "do it however we bloody want and ignore what we're told by local authorities while pretending to listen politely".

My heart bleeds for them, really it does.

10. Dixey

Don't shoot the messenger just because the emperor had a massive hole in his pants!

Whilst the statement "Ed Snowden crocked cloud..." might even be true, I would say that the cloud was going to be crocked at some stage anyway. Did we really all believe that the world had transformed into some fairly-land like place where everybody trusted everybody and there would be never be any chance that anybody would ever do anything as naughty as snooping? If we did, I'm glad we got the wake-up call. Thanks Ed!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Utter Bollocks and quite a ridiculous statement

If governments and companies were not so keen to spy on users then the public might have a bit more trust. All Mr Snowden has done is point out how insecure the whole shebang is and how it's being abused on a massive scale.

12. Smoking Gun

Isn't it funny that what we once took as freedoms has now been redefined as privacy.

I watched a great doco on Snowden called Citizen Four.

Sorry Pat you're wrong, Snowden is a legend for what he has done.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is it possible

that you can get to be CEO of an operation like VMware and think that there won't be difficulties with the varying data retention laws in different jurisidctions if you use just one 'data cloud' globally? Snowden's got nothing to do with it, legal problems would have arisen sooner or later.

I wish I got paid so much for my flights of fantasy!

1. P. Lee

Re: How is it possible

>that you can get to be CEO of an operation like VMware and think that there won't be difficulties with the varying data retention laws in different jurisidctions if you use just one 'data cloud' globally?

I'm sure he does know. He's trolling because otherwise his event would really not be newsworthy.

'Tis but click-bait which aids him and the press.

14. DerekCurrie
    WTF?

This is Snowden's Fault NOT

It's ridiculous to put anything on Snowden regarding the aftermath of his revelations, isn't it! Poke fingers at the CAUSE of all this hell: #OurStupidGovernments. Wishing we could stick our heads back in the sand, wishing patriot Snowden had never taken down The Surveillance Curtain, is foolish.

Can we move along now with our response to these profound attacks on our citizen privacy?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Law of unintended consequences?

Where?

Unless you mean that the agencies never intended to get caught and so were unprepared for the consequences I don't see how it applies here.

Snowden's revelations had precisely the consequences he intended them to.

16. Gary Bickford

There may be a way - split-key encryption

I was just discussing a similar issue with the CEO of Bright Plaza (and inventor of self-encypting drives) - http://brightplaza.com. Without going into gory detail, one can strongly encrypt a file in country X using split-key technology. Put portions of the key in countries with strong privacy, without moving them over compromised links (i.e. US pipes). Then the data can be transmitted anywhere and stored anywhere, securely. Done correctly this would prevent any legal method to force exposure of the key. To access the file, simply return the encrypted file to the original country (or transmit to another desired country, where the split key can be restored and the file decrypted.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like