back to article Microsoft boosts Azure's VM creds with price cuts and GS

Microsoft has increased the size of its compute-and storage-centric cloud VM instances while cutting prices by up to 27 per cent. The software giant has announced the GS family of VMs, running on Xeon E5 v3 chips with up to 64TB of storage. It surpasses the G-series instances released in January, with a maximum limit of 6. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worth noting that Azure general purpose storage is faster than the competition too (as measured by Nasuni).

2. John P

I've used Azure a lot and AWS a small amount, I did a comparison last year of the two and I was really surprised to see that Azure Storage was faster at all operations with the exception of listing blobs. I really expected it to be a more even spread.

Do you have a link to the Nasuni comparison? Might be an interesting read.

1. Electron Shepherd

Reg Article & Link

There's a link in an El Reg article from May. See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/14/azure_overtaking_aws_for_cloud_storage/. The link to the report is at the bottom of the article.

3. I.Geller Bronze badge

Azure uses the obsolete SQL Industry standard

Azure uses the obsolete SQL Industry standard: Azure is obsolete and out of business.

For instance, there are two sentences:

a) ‘Pickwick!’

b) 'That, with the view just mentioned, this Association has taken into its serious consideration a proposal, emanating from the aforesaid, Samuel Pickwick, Esq., G.C.M.P.C., and three other Pickwickians hereinafter named, for forming a new branch of United Pickwickians, under the title of The Corresponding Society of the Pickwick Club.'

Evidently, that the ' Pickwick' has different importance into both sentences, in regard to extra information in both. This distinction is reflected as the phrases, which contain 'Pickwick', weights: the first has 1, the second – 0.11; the greater weight signifies stronger emotional ‘acuteness’; where the weight refers to the frequency that a phrase occurs in relation to other phrases.

SQL cannot produce the above statistics – SQL is obsolete and out of business.

Azure does not see the above statistics - Azure is obsolete and out of business.

1. TheVogon

Re: Azure uses the obsolete SQL Industry standard

"Azure uses the obsolete SQL Industry standard"

SQL Server is the most licensed database product on the planet and is still gaining market share so hardly obsolete. Azure also has a fully featured No SQL database - see http://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/services/documentdb/

"Azure is obsolete and out of business."

Seeing as Microsoft are now by some distance the world's largest vendor by cloud revenue, the market would seem to disagree...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like