back to article Capita hoovers up 1 in every 5 pounds of outsourced UK.gov IT spending

Capita has increased its share of the public sector IT market by one quarter since 2012, despite overall government IT outsourcing spending remaining flat over that period. In 2014, Capita hoovered up £905m in public sector IT spending, up from £671m in 2012. At the same time, overall spend over the last three years across …

1. dogged

Logo

I like the improved offering. I hope you're billing Crapita for the joss-sticks and whalesong tapes it consumed?

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Devil

"The market" at work

My arse.

1. Smoking Gun

Re: "The market" at work

It amazes me, everyone I have spoken too in local authorities or schools, have said how crap they are. It makes you wonder who is rimming who?

3. Otto is a bear.

Costs of Change

Capita are very good at cost control and revenue retention in outsourcing. Once you have them, the costs of transitioning to another supplier could in many cases not be recovered in lower costs, and, if you have their software products, you still can't get rid of them.

Few other suppliers will want to support any substantial quantity of Capita products either, because they'll need to charge margin on it, which Capita doesn't. Again the costs of transitioning can be greater than the potential savings.

4. macjules
    Unhappy

they must be doing something right ...

"Even if you take a cynical view that they are the best of a bad bunch, they must be doing something right."

Correction:

1) Capita are pretty much the only alternative for most local government services.

2) While (Hy)Steria is catching up on skimming ICT contracts away from Capita they are unfortunately also inheriting Capita staff working those contracts, so the levels of competence are not really improving (Gloucestershire County Council already noticed that).

3) I have yet to come across any government contract that Capita 'have done right' and regrettfully have seen far too many truly awful results of last-second, sellotape fixes in order to get signed-off approval on Capita ICT contracts.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

your tax ££s at work!

How many former ministers and top mandarins enjoy non-exec sinecures at Crapita?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Broken record

In-house staff and Open-source software would save the government billions.

Just think of the savings in brown-envelope mark-ups alone! ...wait, I see the problem...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/26/munich_goes_kolab/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Broken record

Yes, Yes, and everyone trained on 30 years of windows software will suddenly pick it up overnight with no cost whatsoever in retraining, support staff, unicorns etc

Linux, the next big thing for over 40 years and counting

twat

1. Anonymous Coward
        Gimp

Re: Broken record

Take it that you don't use Android or Apple (BSD) products? (Not to mention a lot of embedded systems and infrastructure)

Try using Mint. Your vested interest should be mitigated some.

Or do you like being trapped by a single vendor?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since El Reg doesn't bothers linking to the original sources

I haven't yet been able to find the original article and confirm whether these figures actually relate to IT only, or to overall IT and business process outsourcing (I suspect it's the latter)

8. SimonC

No surprise

The government is screwing over regular contractors that don't work for these corporate behemoths with a huge increase in dividend tax, and massive cuts in travel & subsidence.

It's no surprise that this would help these giants out, as regular contractors are their greatest threat.

Thanks government, thanks a lot.

1. Phil_Evans

Re: No surprise

Some contractors do work for these corporate behemoths on the very Aspire deal, mostly in Telford and parts of Sussex. I guess there's something to be said for 'keeping your enemies closer still'

My 2 cents, sorry, dividends.

9. Tom 7

"they must be doing something right"

But not in the software or maintenance of the same fields.

Its the best sales technique in the world - we are not as shit as our competitors.

10. chris 17 Silver badge

Software lock-in

That'll stop the buggers (customers) jumping ship

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Run, while you still can!

Capita have this knack of winning contract after contract, but don't actually have the staff or knowhow to properly deliver the services they promise at the cut me own throat prices.

Every year or so they have an internal restructure usually because the people who actually want to make things better have their hands and other dangly bits tied by the finance directors so then just move on to other companies. Rinse and repeat.

It's a shame because some of the people they have had in their ranks were rather good but ended up demoralised (and/or skint) and inevitably move out of the business.

Until Capita start looking after their staff properly this will not change and anyone outsourcing to them - beware. You get what you pay for.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worst Agency I have ever worked for in over 10 years

Just agree if you hate Crapita

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like