back to article IBM grabs Harriet Green to run IoT and education divisions

Listing tech tanker IBM has hired former Thomas Cook Group CEO Harriet Green to head up two new business wings – Education and Internet of Stuff. “Harriet brings to IBM a strong, proven track record as a transformative leader,” said John Kelly, Big Blue senior veep for the solutions portfolio and research. Green – who …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not going to comment on Harriet Green, because I don't know enough about her, but on this bit of the article:

"Her troubled new employer has already cut costs for the current calendar and financial year, and it is unlikely that in her capacity as veep and GM of the fledgling units that she’ll be asked to slash overheads."

IBM is addicted to cutting costs. One hit per fiscal year may not be enough to feed the monkey any more. Even IBM's supposed growth plays don't escape this entirely.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cutting costs to hire yet another senior manager to do more bait and switch and ultimately "Cut Costs"? Sure. That's worked well for over 20 quarters of not making profits. I'd advise anyone left in Tech Support to update their resume and post with all job search engines, to get ahead of the swing of the axe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like