back to article Is Toshiba mulling asset sales? HDD, TV businesses in the frame

Toshiba is in trouble and could be about to exit the PC and disk drive businesses. The company is still suffering badly from a massive accounting scam, which overstated profits for seven years, and it has just reported a lousy quarter with losses of $91m. Masashi Muromachi became Toshiba’s new president (chief executive) in …

1. Rumournz

No great loss for the PC biz

Toshiba are on my permanent sh#t list after 5 laptops (C660D irrc) went tits up in a year (final score 8 motherboards 6 power supplies 3 HDD's) customer service was a dantesque joke

I believe the thinkpads we replaced them with are still trooping away happily - I quit after that nightmare

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No great loss for the PC biz

A statistical outlier. Toshiba laptops consistently score top scores in surveys assessing reliability.

ThinkPads, on the other hand, have most definitely suffered, reliability-wise, since Lenovo's takeover. Interestingly their premium price tag has remained unchanged...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OCZ ?!

Tosh saved OCZ SSDs, so now they're on death row again :-(

3. Richie 1

What will be left of Toshiba?

If they exit TVs, PCs and HDDs, then that's pretty much all their consumer facing business gone. That more or less leaves it as a manufacturer of air conditioning units and gear for factories.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keep Up! TV Business Already Gone

TV business in North America hived off to third party earlier this year via brand licensing deal (the third party takes responsibility for new product sales and service etc.), In Europe same thing in the summer, Tosh left managing the legacy support and business Asia either going or gone the same way. Only in Japan is Toshiba running the TV business themselves. There is some pro signage business around from Toshiba but not huge volume.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like