back to article Would you trust Intel, Vodafone, Siemens et al with Internet of Things security? You'll have to

A new non-profit foundation dedicated to improving security in the "internet of things" launched on Wednesday. More than 30 companies including Intel, Vodafone, Siemens, and BT are the founding members of the foundation, whose mission is to "make the Internet of Things secure, to aid its adoption, and maximize its benefits." …

1. Dadmin

Appropriate Logo...

It looks like a virus, and a nasty one at that!

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

Um, no. Seems like a focus group to me. No real actions will be taken after years of research. Do I have to ask who will pay for it?

I do hope this does inspire some insight into the standards needed for this kind of technology.

I will be buying second hand and black market appliances in order to keep the IdioT of my house.

1. DropBear
      Facepalm

"Do I have to ask who will pay for it?"

You will, if they ever come up with any standard that builds up any popularity - membership will either be compulsory in order to use it in a product, or they'll simply sell it to you for about a grand per chapter (with dozens upon dozens of chapters cross-referencing each other copiously). Alternatively, you'll pay for it buying any product of a manufacturer who had to go through said mugging. All that assuming of course they really do come up with something smart enough.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well the idea is right; but telcos are not who I would choose to be gatekeepers for anything.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IOT?

more like IDIOT if you ask me.

I Don't(want the) Internet of Things anywhere near my gaf.

The challenge for this motley crew is to make it properly secure AND WITH NO NSA/GCHQ Backdoors.

Then the issue will be who does what with all that lovely data that the IOT will inevitable slurp from each an every one of us. Well maybe not all of us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IOT?

"I Don't(want the) Internet of Things anywhere near my gaf."

Which would be promptly answered with, "You ain't got no choice in the matter, bud. Even if YOU don't use the IoT, someone or something near you will, and then you're in the snare. The IoT will be everywhere whether you like it or not. What will you do about it?"

5. Rusty 1

Intel? Uh huh. They'll likely contribute their lovely AMT technology, or at least certain aspects of it, to the IoT. Nothing quite like a nice little out-of-band back-channel (for management, obviously - duh!).

"Intel Inside - Sharing your knowledge"

6. Adrian 4

I want plenty of Internet Things.

I just want them to remember that they're My Things, and they aren't going to secretly spy on me for the benefit of some cartel. They can have some subset of the data, but I stay in charge of what that is, thank you.

7. Commswonk

That's what you think...

They can have some subset of the data, but I stay in charge of what that is, thank you.

The next burst of data sent by your appliance(s) will include that fact that the software has been tampered with, and this will be repeated at intervals.

It will be a specific offence to tamper with or alter in any way the software embedded in domestic equipment. You don't imagine that the VW "crisis" will be allowed to go to waste, do you?

See Rahm's Rule

8. MotionCompensation

Benefit?

"...to aid its adoption, and maximize our benefits."

FTFY

9. Alan Denman

It will be The Idiot of Things..

once they gain 100% control.

They will scoop up all your readies through your back door.

10. excollier

I'm not letting the internet past my computers. Who the hell needs a nic in their fridge, lightbilbs etc.???

I said needs not wants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wants BECOME needs.

Furthermore, what will you do when EVERY light bulb contains a whispernet NIC that you can't disable without killing the bulb itself?

11. excollier

There's always an alternative

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tell that to the desert village where the guerillas control the only well. The IoT will probably soon feel like this where the ONLY sources of lights and so on will have Big Brother attached.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just think, DDOS attack by your lightbulbs

Change me! Change me! Change me!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like