back to article KARMA POLICE: GCHQ spooks spied on every web user ever

New documents revealing GCHQ's mass-surveillance activities have detailed an operation codenamed KARMA POLICE, which slurped up the details of "every visible user on the Internet". The operation was launched in 2009, without Parliamentary consultation or public scrutiny, to record the browsing habits of "every visible user on …

Page:

1. Rich 11

Oversight

"and have always been exceptionally good at understanding the need to keep our work secret"

Enough superlatives there to think the committee doesn't really question them that hard.

2. gbru2606

If that was 2009...

If that was done in 2009, I think it's fairly safe to assume the record button has been on since about 2011 for everyone.

3. fruitoftheloon
    WTF?

Meanwhile, back in the real world....

How long will it be before the first AC (and it is NEARLY ALWAYS) an AC trots out 'well unless you are a crim, what have you got to hide?'

...just wondered

/sighs

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile, back in the real world....

Probably the same one that goes to church every sunday, drives a diesel car, has 2.4 children in paid for education and drinks bottled water while listening to non-threatening christian rock on their new iphone.

Ok, it's standard fact that everything you type or post on the internet is monitored and that the government has and will continue to monitor all this information. My question is this, there must have been things found out about certain politicians or celebrities, what has happened to that information? Has it been used for blackmail? I certainly don't believe for one minute that everyone has nothing to hide and that people don't slip up in emails or chat programs? e.g. "oi Dave remember the time you stuck your **** in a dead ***, how we all laughed."

1. DrBobMatthews

Very true tge sheep voted for a government and ended up getting a poke in a pig. Do hope that the GCHQ, the CIA and the NSA are reading this!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well unless you are a crim, what have you got to hide?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I suppose Crims may need to hide the fact they are a members of her Majesty's Goverment?

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Well unless you are a crim, what have you got to hide?

You forgot the joke tag.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Let's end this unless you are a crim you have nothing to hide debate.

I'm not a crim and I actually have nothing to hide, however I'm a curious person I like to look at a wide range of sources to understand the news and anything else that takes my interest, this includes using things like Kali to test my home network setup and also researching vulnerabilities to see if I can check them off my lists of what my machines are vulnerable to.

So in your case I should be fine? However I'm not, I'm sure that some of the news topics I've researched would border on extremist, am I an extremist, of course not, would I ever be an extremist of any political viewpoint, definitely not however I like to see all sides of an argument before I make an informed opinion (and that's not taking wikipedia as my main source). This of course flags me up, I know this. Take my vulnerability research, that probably flags me up even more, would I ever write a program to use this? No. Do I find it funny that a hatstand of vulns recently failed in the fact they probably used strcpy() without any verification, Yes because it's buffer overflow in it's most basic of uses.

So in retrospect I'm a curious person who likes to learn and read information however my government is going to pigeonhole me as a terrorist hacker even though my beliefs are so far from that it's shocking.

And you say if I'm a crim I have nothing to hide? No, I don't have anything to hide however I don't see why everything I do is monitored, analysed, dissected and could potentially be used to make me appear to be someone I'm not.

I'm not going to post this as anon as it's about time someone said this because at the end of the day I'm sure a lot of the people on here follow the same logic I do and could potentially be flagged up as I probably am.

GCHQ and the NSA can f*ck off.

</rantoff>

1. splodge
          Joke

"...would I ever be an extremist of any political viewpoint, definitely not however I like to see all sides of an argument before I make an informed opinion..."

So, you are an extremist?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

An extremist would ally themselves with one viewpoint disregarding any argument offered by the opposing side. This is basic human nature to question everything or am I alone in thinking this?

Yes I'm with comrade corbyn, shoot me now.

2. Bloakey1

"So, you are an extremist?"

We are all extremists when viewed from another view point.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Big Brother

Exactly and that's the point I was making. Just because you read something doesn't make you allied to that perspective.

So anyone that says I'm not a crim I have nothing to hide is a complete and utter idiot.

I'm fully aware I shouldn't answer these idiots but to be honest I think that I should share my view and if people want to rip it up then I will read and maybe change it. That's the beauty of being a thinking intelligent person, it's a shame it alludes a lot of people.

1. fruitoftheloon
                Pint

@Scoot76:Re: Meanwhile, back in the real world....

Scoot,

yup I am with you on that, have one on me, it is Friday (well here it is).

Cheers,

jay

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And likewise i'm probably going to look like a terrorist because I've read the Hamas charter, mostly because of a comment on a similar forum to pointing out that one of the articles of the Hamas charter is that they say that they won't make peace and only want to solve the Israel problem by Jihad. Hamas explicitly say in their charter that international peace conferences are a waste of time.

Something which you'd think that some news outlet might have mentioned in unbiased coverage because it makes it somewhat more obvious as to why peace conferences with them involved don't go anywhere. Still, simply reading such things probably has me flagged on a watchlist as well. :/

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And likewise i'm probably going to look like a terrorist because I've read the Hamas charter.

Stick your bait up your arse. I have sympathy for both sides and take neither one.

3. David Nash Silver badge

er..I think it was a joke in response to fruitoftheloon's post above.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

scoot76, I totally agree. The problem isn't so much they're collecting metric assloads of data - well that is the problem, but only one part of it - it's the fact that they're drawing inferences on this data without any sort of context. I remember hearing a story about a high school kid who ended up in an interrogation room with the Secret Service because he posted on Facebook warning Pres. Obama to "watch his back". However as it turns out it wasn't a threat but a legit warning, the kid was concerned someone was gonna try and assassinate him for being black and was legit concerned for the President's well-being - hence "watch your back" meaning "stay alert" not "I'm coming for you."

I'll be honest, with the Orwellian level of surveillance going its only a matter of time before someone gets locked up over their browsing habits because they got flagged just like you. Hell I wouldn't put it past the government to come up with some kind of weapon that only works on people that got flagged as terrorists because they read Al-Jazeera's website instead of BBC - not unlike the Dominator guns from "Psycho-Pass." (Bonus points if the Karma Police's core system is actually a distributed processor consisting of two-hundred odd brains in a jar...)

4. oneeye

Oh good,then would you please publish all your id numbers,real name,address,phone and email address,along with all your credit cards with security codes right now? I mean,you don't have anything to hide,now do ya? Except the fact you wear Spider-Man pajamas?

5. hplasm
        Holmes

Who says who is a crim, and who isn't, eh...

1. Loud Speaker

PC Plod - who did you think it was?

6. fruitoftheloon
        Happy

@AC: Re: Meanwhile, back in the real world....

Ac,

please update us when you have:

- published all of your bank statements online

- shared your calendar (work AND personal)

- ensured that any online Vid service history and your sexual peccadilloes are available for review

- ensured that all of your colleagues are aware of your 'package'

- published your tax return (and accompanying spreadsheets) in full

- web cams in all rooms where you live (just in case you get up to anything, you know 'illegal')

- confirm the insurance policy IDs for your home[s] and/or vehicles

- summarised your political preferences and voting history

- ensured that any bright ideas you have had are in the public domain, otherwise someone might not give you credit down the line...

Something for you to ponder on...

Regards,

jay

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC: Meanwhile, back in the real world....

peccadilloes? Reword your questions and you may get an answer.

I am from benifits of Africa and bring you great giftings, could you supply me with the followings.

1. fruitoftheloon
            Happy

Re: @AC: Meanwhile, back in the real world....

Dear Ac,

apols for the [singular] typo there, which bits would you like reworded???

Cheers,

jay

7. Roland6 Silver badge
        Joke

>Well unless you are a crim, what have you got to hide?

Well in some people's eye's being: white, heterosexual, male, married, middle aged and "middle class" (a term seemingly used to mean any one who isn't on benefits and isn't rich enough to own a 'mansion') is sufficient to be regarded as a criminal and most definitely should not be allowed anywhere near children particularly if they work in IT...

Joke because whilst we can laugh, it only takes a media started rumour to trash your reputation...

1. Teiwaz
          Coat

My definition of middle class: Someone who can have several bottles of alcohol in the house and not feel compelled to drink them in one binge.

Obviously I take the cultural slant rather than the financial one.

1. WorkingFromHome

Teiwaz - that's me definitely not middle then - out of interest if the wine doesn't make it through the night does that make me upper or lower? And what if the beer gets it too?

1. Teiwaz

1) When have you seen anyone not middle class buying wine? (at least in Britain/Ireland/Scotland)

2) One bottle of wine (excluding a 'magnum') is exempt, there's really only two to three good glasses in there.

3) My scale only grades lower-middle down, not upper-middle or upper.

4) If you bought the wine 'as an investment' and failed to stop yourself drinking it, you've got bigger problems.

5) My system is not foolproof, it also usually mis-grades students.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"1) When have you seen anyone not middle class buying wine? (at least in Britain/Ireland/Scotland)"

Anyone who buys extra large bottles of Lambrini. Available in all "good" offies on every council estate, sterotyping notwithstanding :-)

1. Teiwaz

Where I'm from the alcoholics used to exclusively buy a fortified wine made by a company called 'Mundies'. 20/20, Sanatogen and that one made by monks that's popular in Scotland (whose name I can't remember) are also wines. If I choose to view these as exceptions, I'm generalising, not necessarily stereotyping.

8. TidySweep

Well, post your name and your credit card numbers to start with. Oh .. won't do that? But you have nothing to hide, right?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Most of the people on this site have something to hide.

Anyone who is intelligent, can form an opinion based on researched fact and doesn't just take what he/she is spoon-fed to be the gospel truth is a potential dissident.

9. Roo
        Windows

"Well unless you are a crim, what have you got to hide?"

Hypothetically speaking how about: Evidence that GCHQ is breaking the law and operating beyond any reasonable oversight ? ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I plan to put that on my gravestone.

"This is what having nothing to hide looks like."

10. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Well unless you are a crim, what have you got to hide?"

Jean Charles de Menezes had nothing to hide and they fucking murdered him for it.

What about Alan Turing? He shouldn't have had to hide what he did have to hide and that ended pretty damned badly too.

We're not so different today. Are you interested in being next?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, most of us are just noise.

4. Richard Tobin

Meaning?

What does "visible to passive SIGINT" mean?

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Meaning?

SIGINT = SIGnals INTelligence.

Passive SIGINT is a means of acquiring data/info without needing anything specific on the part of the person being monitored. To give a car analogy (cos they're always the best sort)...

If I set up a radar speed detector in your road, everyone who drives past is visible to the detector. That's analogous to being visible to passive SIGINT.

If I plant a box of tricks in your car to report your speed/location to me without your knowledge, then that's analogous to being visible through active SIGINT

2. regadpellagru

"What does "visible to passive SIGINT" mean?"

It means what they get via the below and all its siblngs as opposed to stuff captured on your PC.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/03/revealed_beyond_top_secret_british_intelligence_middleeast_internet_spy_base/

3. Warm Braw

>What does "visible to passive SIGINT" mean?

I think it means they collect any Ctrl/C character they see you type when there's no current foreground job. Though I'm not sure how they benefit.

I'm not sure how they benefit if that's not what they're doing, either...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Passive means a hidden camera in the women's changing room. Active means a hidden camera in a specific woman's bathroom.

Sigint means someone else put the camera there and they're just accessing it.

5. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Coat

"Another programme, codenamed BLAZING SADDLES, was used to target listeners of "any one particular radio station ... to understand any trends or behaviours." The summary report states how:

A wealth of datamining techniques could be applied on small closed groups of individuals, to look for potential covert communications channels for hostile intelligence agencies running agents in allied countries, terrorist cells, or serious crime targets."

Heady stuff indeed.

> It's *HEDLEY"!!! <

6. Martin Milan

Hello...

Clearly we have intelligence agencies who aren't particularly troubled about democratic oversight, or indeed the need to operate within it.

Parliament needs to kick arse, kick arse hard, and kick it NOW!

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: Hello...

Come and help figure out how : http://www.meetup.com/ORG-Manchester/events/225068092/

1. hplasm
        Unhappy

"Come and help figure out how."

Do you have a large box of 'V' masks?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

>Parliament needs to kick arse, kick arse hard, and kick it NOW!

Sadly, that only happens when the matter is really important, like MPs' salaries. But mostly they wouldn't even have got through the candidate selection process if they'd shown any inclination for independent thought.

3. Syntax Error

They are doing quite the opposite. Issuing of GCHQ MI5 etc..warrants to spy has been transferred from ministers to a secret court.

7. Zippy's Sausage Factory

I can imagine several foreign governments being annoyed with this.

Mainly Germany. But possibly a few others as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can imagine several foreign governments being annoyed with this.

More like every government in Europe. End of the day, most European transatlantic data cables land in Cornwall.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can imagine several foreign governments being annoyed with this.

Foreign Government complaints about UK spying will be very muted, as they no doubt also receive some of the nice juicy intelligence reports produced from it.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like