back to article HP won't squeeze itself into 3D printer consumer market

HP is on track to launch into the 3D printing market next year, but don’t expect to be printing off your own plastic goodies anytime soon. HP Inc boss-to-be Dion Weisler told an audience at the Canalys Channels Forum today that development of its 3d printer offering was progressing apace. “We are broadly on track. We said we’ …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

I remember when HP said their 3D printer was going to print in metal at a cost comparable to the then current plastic printers.

1. Naselus

I remember when they said Autonomy would definitely be worth 9 billion, and there was simply no way that an acquisition could blow up in their faces.

2. Speltier

What exactly...

.... is this printer company bringing to the table that is new and novel enough to justify a price premium? They have never been known for great firmware, and everyone can do hardware, leaving... what? Pity the previous CEO occupants largely crushed the research area like most other companies (if you aren't making the company a dollar this quarter, off with your head!), so you can't expect some truly amazing new fangled 3D printer to appear.

3. BinTherDunThat

Automated Press Release Machine

We plan to sell XX like everyone else is doing, and it will be HUGE! And we plan to rename it YY!

... except not this year, next year.

... okay not this year, either. Maybe in a coupe years.

.... okay, a couple more years.

... and not very big.

... does anyone have an XX they're willing to let us rebrand?

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Re: Automated Press Release Machine

"... does anyone have an XX they're willing to let us rebrand?"

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or serious.You know that they were already selling a 3D printer that was just a rebadged Stratasys about 5 years ago? Then they decided that like to do better by themselves. Also not sure how their professional printing R&D is these days, but 5 years ago it was OK.

4. John Robson Silver badge

Buruea printing...

Where is it?

I've got a couple of things I'd like ot print off, I'd happily pay for a timeslice/materials at the local library, or a shop/stall in town.

But there doesn't seem to be the market?

Actually - I think I've answered my own question - there isn't a market - because I can only think of a couple of things I'd like to print...

My issue with the online versions is that postage is invariably multiple times the value of the item being printed - whereas I could go into a shop and be fairly happy to have a rough print after I'd finished my shopping/jobs in town.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like