back to article The do-it-all storage giant is dying: Clouds loom over on-prem IT

The days of the massive standalone storage company are coming to a close, as the public cloud and myriad storage startups drive cumulatively fatal wounds deep into the heart of the one-supplier-does-all-your-storage business model. The all-you-need, best-of-breed storage supplier days are ending as enterprises realize they can …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DELL vs HP

HP is better merger than DELL from my point of view. So EMC should sells VNX line to DELL then goes to HP with 3PAR. It's a reasonable from technical perspective but losing market share and install bases is a pain point.

Anyway, DELL vs HP (+Cisco?, +Oracle?)bidding war likely happen.

It seems EMC has a great sales force for not only products but also company itself.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

picture Looks more like an exodus from the planet !

Chris , you have good stuff and i am amazed on how diverse you are!! you must have ghost writers!! :) But this story is alice in wonderland. host OS and Host servers should be the same company . Storage OS and storage hardware should be the same company . Storage and server should be same company . Solutions can come from 1000s of companies. Oracle is holding up well with all 4 ( dunno how well solaris is doing) .[Your table left out the column of os (msft, HP aux, Ibm aix, etc)] . Once folks realize like they did decades ago that they are paying too much for these off prem services and someone comes in and offers on premise for 50% then the pendulum will swing back. just noticed table has Hds with storage but hitachi with servers ? it should be HDs in both] . Once either customers or off premise gyros realize that running any OS on any hardware is full of issues that take extremely long time to resolve if ever then they will stop this nonsense. as woman at IEEE MSST 2015 conf asked the SDS vendor panel - who will support me when i have SDS on some unknow server ? Answer - of course we will have HCL . watch those costs skyrocet !! but i like the picture- it looks like the sci fi MARs where the planet is dying from asteroid impact and inhabitants are exoding the planet in flying objects . ! :)

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Now I understand

All this cloud malarky has finally come to the real point : getting rid of local IT support. This is why notions like security and confidentiality take the back seat.

The IT peons have always been the red-headed stepchildren of the company. Never enough budget to do things right, never enough personnel to bear the load, and always being given higher and higher goals to fulfill.

Now the besuited CEOs are finally going to get rid of them and everything will be just hunky-dory. Except there won't be anyone to call when their new shiny can't connect to the network. Hmm, I wonder what they'll decide then ?

Oh well, just like call centers, things will go this way until the pendulum reaches pinnacle and starts swinging back. Just like servers, really. We went from mainframes to local PC and now we're going back to mainframes, except they're called "cloud" now.

4. sh14

EU Cloud not really EU - and now not legal?

My EU cloud solution has just emailed me to say that they transfer data to the US, so I need to sign a new contract absolving them of any blame should they or their partners cause a data breach!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about providing hardware to off-prem?

Your article covers the slowly growing (perhaps eventually shrinking) pool / market for on-prem storage. But is the market for off-prem growing at a rate that makes that moot? That is, the Google's, Amazon's, and Microsoft's don't produce their own hardware... Are traditional on-prem providers just shifting their volume to cloud providers? Or do these folks "white box?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like