back to article Dell hooking up with EMC and going public again? Come off it

The rumour mill about a Dell-EMC deal is going hyper, with a $51bn takeover by Dell being mentioned. Is Elliott Management holding a gun to EMC's head? EMC is trying to come up with a shareholder value-unlocking deal under pressure from activist investor Elliott Management, which says EMC investors would be better off if …

1. klaxhu

This is very strange. If anything, EMC could have better chances at raising the money to buy Dell, not the other way around. I think this might be indeed some tactic to get back HP interested in EMC?

Very good observation by CM about the start-ups taking advantage of whatever happens.

1. jshiplett

Not all that strange. Smaller companies buy larger companies via leveraged buyouts all the time.

2. jobahn

For all you speculators, this is just about a done deal in my eyes. Dell would not have gone this far if he could not raise the cap required.

1. Tom 13

@jobahn

True, but from his perspective that's probably not the question. He needs to make sure he can integrate the pieces from end to end, and has to have a plan to handle the inevitable duplication of product lines and processes. Again from his perspective, that's not as difficult here in the US as it would be in the EU, but still potentially painful.

I expect the 'Dell going public' angle is a red herring. Frankly what makes more sense is Dell taking EMC private if they've got the capital. If Elliott has a gun to EMC's head, that's the cleanest way to give them the boot.

3. TMinfidel

HP need stop buying things they don't need and can't use effectively

HP buying anyone who is good at anything seems like a terrible idea at this point, their management seem determined to run the company into the ground.

A hook up with Dell also seems like an odd choice too, but I can see why Dell want to do it, what with cloud and "digital" being all the rage now. We currently host and support several VCE VBlocks. Will this potential deal result in Cisco blades being kicked out in favour of Dell kit?

4. luis river

Not option

HP has good storage products, doesn't need buy EMC,

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EMC need to a compute vendor

Pretty much ghe only thing missing in their stack, but it needs to be a vendor that has products from the very small to the high end (16 socket)

Now Dell already have a partnership with SGI so EMC buying SGI could shut Dell out of that market

6. zdiddy_1

If it somehow were to happen, maybe HPE would look to a tie up with HP Inc. Better together, again? LOL

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Done deal

By all accounts from the media outlets (I have no inside info), it looks like this is a done deal to be announced next week.

Barring the FTC squashing the deal, this would create the world's largest technology company ever.

If they can pull this merger off and still manage to keep the Nutanix relationship, Dell would be the enterprise juggernaut.

HP should be concerned if not outright frightened by this turn of events.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Storage consolidating

What this will affect storage industry landscape in the coming 3 to 10 years?

9. atheist

Perhaps the Dell owning VMWare comment is that Michael Dell's end game is privately owning VMWare, and the joint Dell/EMC going public to pay off the investors who helped tale it private. EMC owning Dell without Dell in charge?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like