back to article $65m write-down, ARM chips ship: A 90-second guide to Planet AMD

Intel punchbag AMD wrote down the value of its computer chip stockpile by $65m in the third quarter of 2015 after it couldn't flog some of its older inventory. Meanwhile, the processor designer will, for the first time, ship "modest" numbers of its 64-bit ARM-compatible server chips in the final three months of this year. …

1. Gordon 10

Mini Chipzilla doesnt work

How about Chipzooky?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mayday, mayday. Flight AMD 8086 going down !

1. Known Hero
      Unhappy

I think a better analogy would be a boat, as plane crashes tend to be a quick affair.

This is a horrible drawn out affair.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hopefully Microsoft will buy them, then do a Nokia and ditch all the crappy bits...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Salts

@Symon,

Yes, do seem to remember Microsoft bailing apple out a while back, though Intel is not so flush these days it probably has enough pocket change.

2. Aitor 1

I don't think so

By the time AMD goes tits up, our mobile phones will probably be our main computing devices.

As it is right now, it is only bad software that prevents us from using our phones as laptops/desktops: with BT 4.0 LP, and miracast we should be able to connect a keyboard, a mouse and a screen wirelessly while charging on a charge pad... and that should happen automatically..

If we had that smoothly done, good bye laptops and desktops.

It IS going to happen, and I hope soon, as current flagship phones have 4G ram and more CPU and GPU power than normaldesktops from 2 years ago that we consider perfectly ok to use.

then Intel will have a HUGE problem, as they don't own the mobile market.

1. CarbonLifeForm

Re: I don't think so

That's long been AMD's hope - that the market which gave Intel such a pile of cash is shifting away from Intel and towards lower power chips and instruction sets, so that one day the inflection point will leave Intel with a vanishing market and huge fixed assets and expenses to service.

It may be true in the long term.

Whether it'll be true in the *needed term* for AMD has yet to become clear.

I too expect a big brother to acquire them, and let Intel try to stop them. MSFT does come to mind so they can secure their supply of chips for Xbox (which uses AMD chips), but there are other options.

4. calonddraig

It's all about the servers

This is why it's essential that AMD gets back into the server chippery space - What client device people use is irrelevant (and it's trending more towards mobile every day) - the 'cloud' still needs massive numbers of cheap commodity servers. If AMD can make a viable ARM based server SoC (and all the hard work is in the interconnects/IO not the cores) that can run big clusters as well as Intel but cheaper, they’ve won a truly big prize. I’m no fan of market monopolies and Intel’s dominance – let’s not forget that a decade ago, Intel was resting on their laurels – on a truly appalling product (NetBurst and insanely hot running single core CPUs) and it was AMD that jumped off into dual core, and later quad core first. They also extended IA32/x86 for Intel while Intel were still fobbing off the world with Itanium.

Here’s to some competition and a fresh way of engineering products. I wish them well with their ARM based server SoCs.

5. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

ARM is possibly a sensible choice

..pity they haven't a clue on anything else. AMD are going nowhere.

Their desktop and server chips are sub-par, except at the low end where the integrated GPU is better than Intel's offerings. Their discrete GPUs are substandard compared to Nvidia at the medium end, and not cheap enough or revolutionary at the higher end.

I can see they're trying to push HSA, but the timeframe on that means nothing will be seen before the end of 2016. It also isn't being taken seriously, as HSA will not be used in their high end workstation and x64 server chips.

TSX isn't on the roadmap as far as I can see, and Intel has now released chips where it actually works. There's absolutely no innovation in virtualisation, which is utterly unforgivable - if ever there was an area AMD could innovate in, it's virtualisation.

Even without any hardware changes, AMD could integrate its existing GPUs with virtualisation, better than Nvidia. I'm aware that they're doing something with virtualisation, and have been for a year or so, but there is absolutely naff all to show for it on x86. I presume they're concentrating on ARM VM, as there's a lot of work being done on that by various companies and projects.

They could integrate an ARM core with a Radeon chipset for consumer level devices and a more open architecture than the current market. No sign of that, either.

HBM is a neat trick, but hardly revolutionary, like AMD being the first to implement PCI-e 2.0 and 3.0 interfaces on their GPUs. Neat, but absolutely pointless, as the prior generation interface wasn't being saturated.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> "(Lost count: the number of times Su and her chief financial officer Devinder Kumar said "successfully executed" on the conference call.)"

Grief they're like those weirdos on The Apprentice.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re de facto monopoly

It always was a monopoly, at least until very recent.

Owning the fabs esured they could be just enough ahead to rake in all the cash stifling most fab development elsewhere.

But for Arm we would stll be on 28nm plus, ARM chips driving fab development at both TSMC and Samsung.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After they had forced Intel to retain legacy instructions it 64 bit chips by preempting them with their own 64 bit chip they should more or less have abandoned the PC market and focused fully on mobile. Too late now of course. They threw a spanner in Intel's works and then should have done a runner.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like