back to article Dell-EMC deal could be a game-changer for mobile networks, too

As carriers race towards virtualisation, software-defined networking and increasingly complex back office IT platforms, they will increasingly bump into suppliers from the data centre world. IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Oracle and others are already very familiar to them, but now there will be a new powerhouse, if Dell’s record- …

1. AbstPoolAuto

Why the confusion around VMware

As far as I'm aware the situation hasn't changed since EMC bought them - 28% or something owned by EMC (now DELL) the rest public owned as its a publicly listed company. The same concerns were raised when EMC bought VMware initially, citing relationships with HP, NetApp, DELL etc being impacted or damaged - that didn't happen did it?. I can Michael Dell keeping it at arms length as it is now because VMwares relationships with other vendors rakes in a lorry load of money every year that he can invest into the rest of his business and paying down debt, even if in some instances it competes with other areas of his business.

Better to get a wedge on the VMware aspect of a deal that goes to someone else than miss out entirely I'd have thought?

1. @FLASH

Re: Why the confusion around VMware

Get your numbers right, EMC own 80% of VMware

1. AbstPoolAuto

Re: Why the confusion around VMware

80% then although this actually strengthens the point I was making (that you ignored) - has it made a jot of difference over the last 8 years that it has been 80% EMC owned? has it continued to grow (virtzilla?!) and hasn't it continued to had very successful relationships with Netapp, HP and the like?

I cant honestly see how this maks any difference. Ill just leave this here http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2015/10/19/message-from-michael-dell-committed-to-vmware-independence-and-to-open-ecosystem

2. Trollslayer
    Mushroom

WFT

is 'disintermediated'?

Get a professional in!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So here's the thing I don't get...

...about this fish (Dell)-that-swallowed-the-whale (EMC) deal. All I hear about is all of the wonderful things that Dell will gain from this. What if we looked at it from the reverse angle?

Did you hear? EMC just bought Dell!

Ummm...why? Even if EMC somehow needed a PC manufacturer to fill out its portfolio, is Dell really the best one? They shrank away to near-oblivion before going private, and haven't exactly been setting the world on fire since.

...and whuuuuut? they're letting the _Dell_ folks run this combined company?! Talk about the (droopy) tail wagging the dog!

All I can say is Godspeed, Mr. Dell.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like