back to article Official: WD buys SanDisk

Consolidation in the storage industry is speeding up. One week after Dell decides to buy EMC for $67bn, Western Digital is using Unisplendour money to buy SanDisk for $19bn to create an enterprise and consumer flash powerhouse. Speculation about a SanDisk purchase by Western Digital has been intense, following the $3.8bn …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

But will China nix it for 2 years?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I doubt that. The WD / HGST merger, which had been held up by the Chinese regulator for closer to three years than the expected two miraculously cleared less than three weeks after the aforementioned Chinese company, Unisplendour, made a significant investment in them.

Of course, this was all *pure* coincidence!

It'll be equally coincidental when the WD/Sandisk merger- that a large Chinese company now has a significant stake in- somehow ends up getting approval significantly faster.

In other news, the cheap Chinese steel imports decimating the last remnants of the British steel industry as David Cameron fawns over Xi Jinping isn't being sold below cost. (#) And I have a bridge to sell you if you believe any of this.

(#) Or at least it won't be proven as such until the EU looks into it in a year's time and the industry *is* effectively dead. Thanks guys!

3. Mage Silver badge

More consolidation?

Will Toshiba join WD? They are a small player in small HDDs, or were.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was inevitable

But I've never liked Sandisk and their lawyer antics.

For WD, it's also a matter of self-preservation. Very soon HDDs will go the way of floppies as SSDs become more and more affordable and reliable. WD needs some flash memory patents.

On other fronts, Intel and Micron are competing in 3D NAND technology. Seagate and Micron have also formed an alliance.Samsung is a juggernaut and has its own foundries.

The storage industry was so much more diverse back in the day. Quantum (Fireball drives were excellent), Connor, Iomega Zip drives.

Exciting times now, but I feel old.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Iomega Zip drives

Yeah, very impressive they were. Until the Click Of Death hit them, that is.

Then they became expensive trash. And your data was lost, too.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: It was inevitable

"Seagate and Micron have also formed an alliance.Samsung is a juggernaut and has its own foundries."

Seagate acquired Samsung's HDD business back in 2011 (See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/20/seagate_completes_samsung_buy/ )

However, Seagate continue to sell Samsung branded drives.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like