back to article HMRC signs up Bain for £10.7bn Aspire migration

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has signed up global management biz Bain to migrate the department off its hefty £10.7bn Capgemini Aspire contract. Under the deal, Bain will receive £20m from HMRC in order to work out a two-year exit plan for the government's "largest ever" IT contract. Michael Larner, analyst at TechMarketView …

1. HollyHopDrive

The problem they face is CapGemini have no vested interest in letting go. So they are hardly going to fall over themselves to stop riding the gravy train. And that would be the same for any company in the same position, that's business.

Can't think it was always an overpriced contract, but then I think most Gov projects (particularly IT) always seem surprisingly expensive. Be interesting to see how a new model compares in cost over a number of years. I'm sure bureaucracy will help keep the cost up with all the extra new suppliers having to jump through various hoops one that element starts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The other major problem HMRC face is finding someone who is prepared to do this piece of work and that does not wish to be part of ANY consortium that may bid for any future work that may arise from this study; like actually execute the exit plan...

2. Doctor_Wibble

Will people be able to answer the phone now?

I need to ask because there is something at HMRC which prevents any person ever answering any phone in their SA department, leading to a theory that (a) the assumed-to-actually-exist phones are in fact silenced and (b) are in a completely different building out of reach of the staff anyway, and if this migration (directly or indirectly) fixes that then it's a Good Thing even if those frequently aren't very memorable*.

* as defined in the essential reference book '1066 And All That'.

3. PeterM42
    FAIL

Yet another Government IT disaster on it's way?

Virtually guaranteed!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like