back to article Akamai buys out Scottish web security firm Bloxx

Scottish websec firm Bloxx has been acquired by American giants Akamai in a cash deal, for an undisclosed amount, to shore up its cloud security services. Bloxx, established in 1999, had 55 employees spread between its facilities in West Lothian and Massachusetts. There has been no comment regarding restructuring at the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure about "keeping them on". As part of an announcement email that came across my desk yesterday:

...the current Bloxx product set will no longer be available for sale or refresh. In addition, as a result of Bloxx now becoming a part of the Akamai family, renewals will only be offered until January 31, 2016...

So sounds more like an asset / IP strip to me?

AC as I work in related industry.

2. Steve Hill 1

Creating quite a lot of uncertainty for the schools that run Bloxx filters - http://www.opendium.com/node/53

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well isn't this a thing. I have a Bloxx appliance at the school who's network I manage, and we signed a new three-year contract with them over the summer. Nothing was mentioned about any possible acquisitions (although they may have not known back then, not sure). First I heard of this was a phone call ten minutes after getting into the office this morning from a Smoothwall sales rep doing some scaremongering.

Maybe not the worse thing to happen. In my experience their appliances are good, not great, but good, and I very nearly switched filtering providers before renewing with Bloxx. Whilst their boxes aren't the greatest, I always found their support excellent, much better than anybody else I've had to deal with, and that's what got my business.

Shame to see one of the UK firms go under.

AC as I too work in the industry.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a massive disappointment.

Bloxx were a great company, punched above their weight but were alas underfunded and under supported that this was bound to happen eventually.

I hear that a 1/3 of the workforce are to be slashed - not surprised that Akamai don't comment on this. Enough bad press already from existing users.

Whatever product they choose to bring out they will be on a hiding to nothing trying to build bridges with current users now on a 'legacy' solution.

Shame for the staff there, they were a good bunch of guys. I was told they didn't even find out until an Akamai staff presentation this week.

Shocking !!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon