back to article What the bleedin' Dell is this? IT giant mulls unit selloffs – report

Reuters reports Dell is thinking of selling off non-core assets to clear the decks before the EMC acquisition and raise $10bn. Four candidate businesses are mentioned: Quest Software IT management with its systems management, security and business intelligence functions SonicWall email encryption and security Rapid …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couch Change?

Shirley, this is an error " Dell is going to take on almost $50m in debt when the $67bn acquisition of EMC completes sometime next year"

And don't call me surely...

1. Erik4872

Re: Couch Change?

That has to be wrong. Companies can find $50 million in between their sofa cushions. $50 billion is a different story.

2. Mondo the Magnificent
    Terminator

This is......

...nothing more than corporate de-duplication ...

When the new toys outshine the existing.. time to move them to someone else's toy box...

3. Calleb III

And who is going to buy them if they are deemed as an inferior product by the current owner Dell?

1. Naselus

"And who is going to buy them if they are deemed as an inferior product by the current owner Dell?"

That's easy - just tell HP they're worth 9bn and they'll go ahead and buy it for that without checking, apparently.

1. Captain DaFt

"That's easy - just tell HP they're worth 9bn and they'll go ahead and buy it for that without checking, apparently."

And they'll insist on paying 21 billion!

4. Big Wiggle

I have a lot of friends at Dell Enterprise Services (Perot Systems) I hope they'll be OK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lets hope...

that your friends have their CV/resume's ready to go. Don't send them to HP coz they couldn't manage an enterprise paper bag folding competition.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dell Services

Michael needs to sell the business back to Mr. Perot. GuideIT. The current leadership is incompetent and many employees are feeling the pain of this incompetence along with their customers.

5. The Count

Its always your turn next

I worked at Dell when most of these companies were acquired into the software organization and when the massive layoffs came around just before Dell went private we were told the software organization was protected from said layoffs. Looks like its finally their turn.

It had to happen eventually. That is just how Dell operates.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

And so

it begins...

7. phantomwinger

Michael the destroyer

I was at Quest when they were acquired. It was immediately clear that no one at Dell knew what to do with any of the software acqusitions.

No idea. No plans. No marketing - 2 years down the line and the majority of companies had no idea who Dell Software was.

Dell have stripped the heart and soul out of a great company in Quest. I hope it rises again - Vinny, get your chequebook out!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like