back to article Anything AWS can do: Microsoft announces UK data centre region for Azure cloud

Microsoft's CEO has announced it will build a UK data centre for its Azure cloud - just days after a similar announcement from AWS CTO Werner Vogels. It seems the race is on. Azure will have cloud services based in the UK "beginning in 2016" said Nadella's slide, whereas Vogels stated that the AWS installation will be online " …

1. hplasm
    Big Brother

Office 365 Delve

If that's not a snoop-sounding name...

1. TheVogon

Re: Office 365 Delve

"there may be circumstances when the US government can demand access to data, a point which is currently being argued in the courts."

Not easily if you use Microsoft's Bring Your Own Keys data encryption - which uses Thales secure HSMs - configured to block access from outside the EU....

2. Bumpy Cat

Safe Harbor fallout

This is surely the logical response to the end of Safe Harbor in current form - while the legal people on every side are thrashing out the details for any new agreement, customers are sidling uneasily away from anything that relies on US-based cloud infrastructure. Currently if you're using Azure you have no choice - your data is free for the taking in the US.

1. TheVogon

Re: Safe Harbor fallout

"Currently if you're using Azure you have no choice - your data is free for the taking in the US."

Not if you don't want it to be - see https://www.thales-esecurity.com/msrms/cloud

3. sysconfig
    Trollface

Given the IPB bill...

which will make the UK "inadequate" as far as EU privacy and data protection rules go, both AWS and Azure should maybe look for a location in Switzerland instead.

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Joke

Windows Mobile

Windows Phone, now called Windows 10 Mobile, was not completely ignored. "I use it on a daily basis," said Nadella.

"It beeps nicely when my boiled egg is done.", he told reporters later on.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Inspiring!

We shall defend our on-premise data centres, whatever the capital cost may be, we shall install Linux Mint on the beaches, we shall deploy Android phones on the landing grounds, we shall run Apache in the fields and in the streets, we shall hide Linus in the hills; we shall never surrender to MSFT.

1. phil dude
      Joke

Re: Inspiring!

We need a "Trebles all round!!!" Icon...

Lord Gnome.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Inspiring!

"we shall run Apache in the fields and in the streets"

As soon as we have unencrypted all of our data, anyway:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/09/ransomware_targeting_linux_charging_bitcoin/

6. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Alert

Hello, Hello, Hello

"Windows Hello face recognition in the Surface Pro 4 - 'it just looked at me and logged me in'"

From which I see the next logical step..."it just looked at a photograph of someone else and let me get into their machine"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The worst of all possible worlds

Nadella proudly showed what he called the "iPhone Pro": an iPhone loaded with Microsoft applications, including Skype, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, several Office 365 applications, Dynamics CRM, and of course mobile apps for OneDrive cloud storage and Outlook email.

An iPhone with all of that shite, in addition to Apple's own stuff? Now that is a work of great evil. Does Nadella have horns?

8. Dan 55 Silver badge

Not worth a penny until MS Dublin is sorted out...

Perhaps they should have waited first just to to be sure.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Not worth a penny until MS Dublin is sorted out...

It depends on the legal small print. Can they have a legally air-gapped company set up to own and run it?

9. SteveKingSmith

Awesome Move

This is great move by Microsoft. UK, Germany and I'm sure more to come to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like