back to article Microsoft is about to launch a UK store within a store

Microsoft is scouting locations across big cities in the UK with a view to rolling out a "store within a store" concept, according to our sources. Senior UK heads at the software giant have briefed property investment companies, and one told us the vendor was “working with retailers for experiential stores.” Microsoft has …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Ah... The store in a store concept

Rent the space from the retailer. Then when the tumbleweed fills it up, they can quietly close it down. No Bricks and Mortar to look sad when closed but still identifiably a former MS store.

Probably a good way to test the waters but they really have a long way to go when it comes to retail.

The two big Apple Stores in London could hadly be in more prominent locations. If I was Sataya I would not want to rent space on say Regent St close to Apple and it not be a success. A very public failure is not what they need.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah... The store in a store concept

Another problem is that lots of these stores-within-a-store are being sued by a patent troll called "Xzibit Inc."

It's believed that the patent in question is "FU5960411 Yo Dawg".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Obvious choice!

Should be within Waitrose stores. People of discernment and good taste shop at Waitrose and run Windows 10/Office 365...

1. hplasm
      Devil

Re: Obvious choice!

Poundland!

2. Matthew Smith

No, rent space off Tesco. When the equipment starts bluescreening, it will be camoflaged against the store's corporate colours.

3. Arctic fox
      Thumb Up

Your down vote total confirms that which I have long suspected, that the anti-Redmond hatebois do not have a sense of humour. That you were joking was something that they clearly did not understand. Errr.., you were joking weren't you? I mean, I would under no circumstances shop at Waitrose although I do not have a big problem with Office 365. Oh and yes, the "Cognoscenti" will of course totally fail to understand that my post is a touch (well, rather a lot) satirical as well.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Is you 'hatred' of Waitrose (other Supermarkets are available) based upon the fact that they pander to the Apple Fanbois by taking Apple Pay?

Anyway, (and my personal view) I'd rather shop at Waitrose than ASDA any day of the week.

Vive la difference!

YMMV.

3. Alan Denman

Samsung stores are also

Carphone Warehouse stores.

Im sure CW would not mind a few of theirs having MS too.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Samsung stores are also

And the Google Shop is in PC World, which is also part of the Dixons Carphone Group.

However my guess would be the John Lewis store in Oxford St. John Lewis was the first to sell the Suface fondleslab.

4. teapot9999

Why bother?

There is a Microsoft store opposite the Apple Store at the Valley Fair shopping mall in San Jose, California. The Apple store is always rammed with people, I have never seen more than 3 non-staff in the MS store in the 5 or 6 times I have been there.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Why bother?

In fairness, Valley Fair is pretty much on Apple's doorstep, and there are enough employees living around there to ensure that always been a vibrant Mac market in this part of the world, even when Apple was in the shitter. Plus, it's in a part of the world where hating Microsoft is almost an identity. (I always wonder how different this would have been if Microsoft had set up in Redwood, CA, not Redmond, WA).

On a side note, I've never understood how these malls manage to stay open with the extraordinarily low footfall they get. Obviously everyone orders ahead, and maybe I'm just used to busy centres in European cities, but I have memories of quite a few "Marie Celeste" visits to Valley Fair in my time, including at weekends when I'd expected it to be a lot busier. Maybe I was just avoiding the mad rushes.

5. David Lawton

Microsoft do like using them photocopiers.

6. Jungleland

Have they spoken to Veolia yet or have the cheaper Android OEMs already taken all that space?

7. David Paul Morgan
    Happy

another vote for CPW here

Dixon group / Carphone Warehouse would be ideal.

They already manage stores on behalf of Samsung.

The high street really needs to have more shop-window/demo space to advertise the goods and services, which people can then buy online.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Your alien overlord - fear me

Trouble is, if you have a problem, Microshaft just point you to user forums where you get no help.

I don't like iRubbish but at least they have Geniuses in store. Microshit doesn't have the concept of actually helping end users.

They also have no 'premium' products, such as gold, laser engraved mice and such bling to get rich idiots into their shop.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd pop in and ask them about disabling telemetry.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Charity Shops then?

Maybe MSFT concessions in shops such as Oxfam, Cancer Research or the Red Cross?

Anyone buying a Lumia knows the money is going to desperate people who feel totally worthless and are facing imminent destitution

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like