back to article Microsoft rolls out first 'major update' to Windows 10

Microsoft has released an update it says is the first major release for Windows 10. Redmond said the new version of Windows 10, version 1511, will offer better performance and compatibility with third-party hardware. "With this update, there are improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience, including thousands …

Page:

1. Innocent-Bystander*

Wonderful :\

Another update that will restart my system in the middle of class while I'm trying to take notes.

1. glussier

Re: Wonderful :\

You don't have to do the update while in class. First, you'll have to download over 3gB of data before being able to do it, and then you can postpone this update until class is over.

1. Paul Shirley

Is that another 3Gb Win7&8 machines will download whether they need it or not?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Better ask your mom for help upgrading.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Mothers usually ask their kids for help with these things.

1. h4rm0ny

Mothers these days had their teenage and university years the Nineties. Given how much simpler technology has become these days (I can install and use GNU/Linux without even touching a compiler, and say what you like about Windows 7,8 or 10, compared to the Hell that was Windows 98 using and configuring it is easy), I think parents now are probably more technically adept than most kids. Or close.

The tech-illiterate parent syndrome can probably start to enter its dying decade, I hope.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
            FAIL

> Mothers these days had their teenage and university years the Nineties

And mine were the 80's. Your point is?

(Hint - age isn't really a reliable indication of technical skill levels)

3. Terry 6 Silver badge

You should take notes with a pen and paper,and review them later; it works better, believe me.

Anyway Win 10 schedules a restart, it doesn't just fold up while you are using it.

I'm no fan anymore, but you can't moan about that aspect.

4. d3vy

Or you know... When it pops up saying it wants to restart it gives you the option to change the time...

It also tries to select a suitable time based on your usage... So far I've not had one restart during business hours...

1. PeeKay
        FAIL

Two days ago I was unable to work on my Surface Pro 3 because windows decided that it was a good time to patch. The Surface was unavailable for over an hour while it did this (and it wasn't due to lack of patching). I ended up using a unix device to complete the job.

So, hating to disagree with you there fella, but the kid has a point...

1. d3vy

"The Surface was unavailable for over an hour while it did this"

Really? an hour? My laptop is about the same spec (yoga2 pro) and doesnt take anywhere near that long - my kids i5 with a really slow spinny disk hdd only took 15 minutes and that was to apply a few months worth of updates..

I think you need to have a look at your machine, there is clearly something wrong.

2. d3vy

Forgot to mention:

"Two days ago I was unable to work on my Surface Pro 3 because windows decided that it was a good time to patch"

This does not disprove my point - it just proves that you have not taken the minute required to schedule a time for the patching to happen, its three maybe four clicks (taps on your surface).

Of course, if it makes you feel better im sure there is a command line command that you can run to do the same thing - to make you feel more at home..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

W00t!

The best OS just got better! MSFT has totally got its mojo back.

1. nexsphil

Re: W00t!

Jesus H Christ. Mods?

2. a_yank_lurker

off your meds?

1. Bluto Nash

off your meds?

Or perhaps ON them...

3. RAMChYLD

Except that they pulled the music and movie store from Malaysia shortly before and Cortana is still not available (but is available in India?!? WTH?).

Also, it rolled the graphics card drivers on my laptop back to pre-release July 15th, 2015 ones (that's my main beef with Windows 10. AMD released updated drivers on August 3rd and again on August 21st. Windows keeps pushing the July 15th drivers despite the drivers being already newer). Also, it did something to the drivers- AMD Quickstream keeps complaining that it couldn't find the license to operate the software.

1. Test Man

AMD QuickStream - reinstall it from the abc.exe download from AMD's site.

Fixed it for me.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"but is available in India"

If you think about it thats the perfect country to launch a service that sounds like its reading a badly written script and when you ask it for help it either asks you a stupid question in response or it gives you a completely irrelevant reply.

1. hoveringfalcon

[Quote]

If you think about it thats the perfect country to launch a service that sounds like its reading a badly written script and when you ask it for help it either asks you a stupid question in response or it gives you a completely irrelevant reply.

[\Quote]

AAA

Although I am not good in it myself, English is a stupid language. GET IT. If you do not know the criteria of judging languages, then don't even think of replying or thumbing down.

BBB

I bet you Rothschilds fortunes that your accent in the major Indian language - Hindi - would be WAY MORE funny and less understanding than any Indian's english accent.

CCC

Quit moaning about India taking your country jobs. Instead, India is suffering from huge brain drain from entire West collectively.

Apart from draining best minds, West lobbies Indian education committes to degrade the syllabus content and methodilogy. Another bump. Don't ask for proof.

DDD

EEE

[I am not anymore in mood to put all that I wanted. Suck that for now]

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Although I am not good in it myself, English is a stupid language."

Well when you become good at it , get back to us.

"I bet you Rothschilds fortunes that your accent in the major Indian language - Hindi - would be WAY MORE funny"

Indian languages are already funny even when spoken by the natives. And when they do the head wobble its just pure comedy gold. :o)

"Instead, India is suffering from huge brain drain from entire West collectively."

Well since your women are unable to keep their knickers on and the men to keep their dicks in their pants for more than 5 minutes and with the consequence your population is over a billion , I don't think you have too much to worry about there.

4. Paul_Murphy
      Facepalm

Don't feed the trolls please.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alert, Alert !

Rabid delusional lunatic on the lose, call the men in white coats.

6. Planty Bronze badge

Making something that's less shit than windows 8, that's not getting your mojo back, its just not being as bad and out of touch as before

3. Camilla Smythe

These Days...

I have discovered Linux appears to be quite stable.

This afternoon the Cat tried to interface with the keyboard and I did not manage CTRL|ALT|LOCK under his tum before his bum reset the computer. When interrogated about which key combination he had used he resorted to extreme purring.

Can someone remind me why everyone uses Windows... or is that a Facebook thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: These Days...

I will endeavour to oblige.

I try out Ubuntu (and K), Mint and Fedora on a regular basis to see 'if the time has finally come'.

Over the weekend I clean installed Ubuntu 15.10 on a dedicated drive. The FIRST of the non-ubuntu 'store' programs I installed refused to work because some dependancy was not included anymore, and I couldn't find it through their software management system.

Luckily for me, I still have a fully functional Mint system.

Last week I did a Win 10 install, and a Win 7. All the software required by the user installed. 10 had all the requirded drivers on board, all the drivers required for the 7 system were available for download from the OEM's and all of them were recent versions.

YMMV. just saying because you asked.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first

@Peter R. 1

Very unreasonable downvotes in response to an honest view. My experience is pretty much the same as yours - regular assessment but stumbling over issues that make the Linux experience less than the seamless transition many commentators would have you believe that it is.

I find Microsoft's recent change of tack into data mining etc., deeply troubling and I will probably leave them at some point when Windows 7 becomes unsustainable, but Linux isn't there yet. For me at least.

1. Arctic fox
          Windows

@Zog_but_not_the_first "..... into data mining etc., deeply troubling ........"

You are not the only one. However, if you are using the "Enterprise" edition MS are now committed to permitting you to completely strangle all telemetry with this latest update. If you are running the Pro-version you might care to take a look at "Spybot Anti-Beacon" to see if it might serve your needs. From their site:

"Spybot Anti-Beacon is a standalone tool which was designed to block and stop the various tracking (telemetry) issues present in Windows 10. It has since been modified to block similar tracking functionality in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems."......."Simply clicking “Immunize” on the main screen of Anti-Beacon will immediately disable any known tracking features included by Microsoft in the operating system" ***

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

***I should underline the point that I have no connection with that site of any kind whatsoever.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Zog_but_not_the_first "..... into data mining etc., deeply troubling ........"

ref. spybot anti-beacon

Simply clicking “Immunize" - this somehow it makes me feel uneasy. Yes, I remember spybot, but these days nothing appears to be what it seems, and often by design :(

1. Arctic fox
              Windows

Re:"Simply clicking “Immunize" - this somehow it makes me feel uneasy. "

Well whilst I am in no position to guarantee anything I can say that it is the original spybot team who have been in the business for something like a decade and a half. A quick search reveals that it has been tested by a number of known and respectable sites. Whether or not it would meet your needs is of course up to you to evaluate.

2. Ilsa Loving

Re: @Zog_but_not_the_first "..... into data mining etc., deeply troubling ........"

Does anyone know if this deals with the fact that some of Microsoft's telemetry is so deep that it can't be shut off (unless you're using Enterprise)?

2. Nunyabiznes

@Artic Fox,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking into this.

1. Arctic fox
              Windows

@Nunyabiznes Re:" Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking into this."

My pleasure. My personal take after having installed Win 10 on two SP3s and our home office heavy lifter is that there is a lot to like if one can get it to shut up!

2. Teiwaz
        WTF?

"non-ubuntu 'store' programs"

You mean some 3rd party 'app' from the Software Centre? If so, It would have been nice if that had been 'caught' before 15.10 was released, but hardly an indicator of whether an OS is stable or not.

This might have been the responsibility of whoever submitted it, not Ubuntu/Canonicals.

Ubuntu is moving to 'Snappy' packages in a release or two, which should prevent those issues in the future.

"Luckily for me, I still have a fully functional Mint system."

Yes, lucky. You found the token problem you were looking for so you could dismiss an entire OS as 'refusing to work'. Although it doesn't sound like you even use Mint much by you choice of terminology.

With Linux, drivers mostly depend on how well (if at all) the kernel supports the hardware. If you have mainstream hardware your generally good to go, no fuss. If you have something exotic or very very new there is a chance of issues as hardware vendors rarely consider it worth the effort to provide anything at all.

3. Whistlerspa

And I tried to install firstly Suse Leap 42.1 and then Mint 17.2 on my Intel driven 5yo laptop that I decided to blow Win 10 32 bit away on. The Suse download produced an errored dvd that stalled mid way through the install ( tried two burns) twice, and and Mint 17.2 disc which I'd used before wouldn't progress past the splash screen. My original Ubuntu 14.04 installed flawlessly however - still the best distrowatch imho.

1. Chemist

"The Suse download produced an errored dvd that stalled mid way through the install"

In my experience if there's any kind of error on a DVD then installation is probably a waste of time

Was the .iso checksum OK ?. If it was and your hardware will support it why not use a USB install ?

Leap is 42.1 is very new - I'd use 13.2 - I've installed that on a number of machines with no problems at all. I'd also use a liveDVD or LiveUSB to check everything out and then use the install option from that.

1. Whistlerspa

' Re Leap is very new. ...'

Totally agree with you. To clarify I had already tried out the iso in Virtual Box and it had worked fine, so the problem was in the burning process. There is no Live DVD for Suse Leap so I risked it. I posted my original comment in response to someone else posting about the benefits of Mint and comments around the stability of Suse. I don't like USB installs as I can't really be bothered with all the mucking about that it takes to prepare the pen drive. Much easier to burn the iOS to disk and this is only the second time that a DVD hasn't worked.

I've found Linux to be a matter of personal experience and it can still be a hit and miss affair with regards to variables like hardware compatibility, software bugs and glitches and the like.

Personally had the best results from various Ubuntu versions over the years and have never had much success with distros like Arch, Fedora, Mint or Non Linux BSD.

1. Chemist

"To clarify I had already tried out the iso in Virtual Box and it had worked fine, so the problem was in the burning process."

Can I enquire if you used the 'check installation media' option from the boot menu of the .iso. In my experience that shows up all flaky disks ( unless they are so bad that they don't boot ) Also - was the .iso checksum correct ?

My experiences over many years with OpenSUSE, installing on all sorts of machines is completely positive.

2. Turtle

@Camilla Smythe Re: Can someone remind me...

Apparently you lead a very sheltered and isolated life.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

antiX 15 is an excellent light weight Linux distro and they in conjunction with Mepis make MX-14, 15 in beta, which is a little heavier as it has a more traditional GUI. Both are great. I should mention that I have no relationship to either distro other than being a satisfied user of those distros.

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

4. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

"Can someone remind me why everyone uses Windows"

Because it the most supported desktop OS in the world?

Also contrary to popular belief Linux doesn't always work. I had no end end of pain getting bloody mouse to work on my system along with it being convinced I have a HDMI monitor (along with my real one) attached and deciding to use it as a primary monitor.

2 hours dicking around with these two very basic things drove me mad. Searching shows these are not uncommon issues.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Lost all Faith - I'm astonished - that's the first time I've ever heard of anybody having problems with a mouse being recognised in Linux. I'm curious as to what caused the problem, if you'd not mind sharing, so that if I ever come across that problem I'll have some idea of what's up.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ Esme:

Mouse Issue example

http://itsfoss.com/invisible-mouse-cursor-ubuntu-1310/

Same in MINT

As par the course for Linux, had to resort to command line fixes. of course, due to the fact it thought I had a non-existent monitor, guess where the shell was coming up...so had to spend a hour finding that issue first.

5. HamsterNet

The Terminal

That's why people dont use Linux and use Windows instead.

If you dont understand then just stop using the terminal and see how you get on with your Linux installation (hoe you don't have AMD graphic or processors), set up, drivers or almost anything else.

1. Teiwaz

For most the larger and easy access distros (Mint, Suse, Puppy etc.) and some of the others (Slitaz comes to mind) you don't need to go to the terminal for much, even during initial set-up, at least for an average desktop setup. Even with AMD graphics (as long as you stick to the OSS drivers).

If you are going to try to use hardware from firms that don't give a shit and implement stuff that can only be operated by their drivers that is your own lookout (the only peripherals I've had issues with is Logitech).

Other distros make no effort to avoid the command line (arch, gentoo and the like). Their intended userbase are expected to be able to use the CLI - it's intended.

1. Can't think of anything witty...
          Pint

"...you don't need to go to the terminal for much"

But i think that is often still too much. I've dabbled a little in Linux over the years and i'm really impressed with the live disc operating systems (if you need to rescue a pc with a dodgy disk, Knoppix is excellent). Incredible to think that you can just boot from a CD and have a usable system in a few minutes.

but i've never switched over fully. just feels like too much effort, plus i do want support for a few old games that i might get to play again some day. whenever i did try linux, i would always get to some point where the thing that i wanted to do required me to use the command window... and it's hard to go along with that. either i blindly trust the command as written on the net (not least, that i know what it does and that it does what i expect it to) or i have to learn a whole language just ot set a folder permission or something. That's my experience of desktop linux. great up to the point where you need to type "sudo", but that point will always come.

in fairness to MS, i think that the windows 7 install process was impressive... load the disc, put in some info (like username, product key and WiFi / network access etc.) then just leave it for about an hour, come back and it was done. I'm sure it isn' that simple every time, but the last few times i have re-installed 7 it was very simple.

and i never had to resort to a command window. so that's why i still use windows.

just my opinion.. and i'm putting off going back to work on a sunny friday afternoon... :)

1. Teiwaz

There will always be things more convenient to do on a command line a opposed to through a gui.

It is why, after all, after years of ignoring the command window, Powershell was introduced on Windows.

The casual Desktop user shouldn't have to go near the linux equivalent any more than the windows user should, and unless you are doing something complicated I think this is currently as true for linux as it is for Windows (as long as you are using a good desktop ui on a well set up distro).

I've met a number of ubuntu users of late who are lost on the command line (didn't even know what apt-get was), but they never need to use it, and most Linux installers never drop you into the command line at any point (and indeed install in half the time (about 20-30 minutes).

There are always going to be issues with hardware that require tweaking to work. This is difficult to sort due to the vast range of hardware in use on 'PCs' and the fact that many manufacturers only write drivers for the most popular platforms (windows), and if they do provide a linux driver it's generally very beta, not been updated for ages or doesn't support their older products.

Old Windows games are not a problem (mostly) on linux either (especially dos/95 era games) and also older windows games tend to have stable support under wine.

1. Whistlerspa

" there will always be things more convenient to do on a command line..."

Not if you have typing skills and a memory for CLI commands like mine. Give me find, point and click courtesy of a GUI interface any day.

2. Chemist

" then just stop using the terminal and see how you get on with your Linux installation"

Oh, not again !

See : http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/2685979

3. badger31

@HamsterNet

That's a bit like saying 'try driving your manual-shift car without using the gear stick' when someone says manuals are better to drive than automatics.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like