back to article EU orders Equinix to dump colos in Amsterdam, London and Frankfurt

Equinix will be forced to offload data centres in Amsterdam, London and Frankfurt as the price of EU approval of its takeover of Telecity. The European Commission has given a conditional green light to the £2.3bn deal, which Equinix first announced bid back in May, aiming to add 39 European data centres to its 100-strong US …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

London & Frankfurt

I am guessing Equinix will want to hold onto LD4 in Slough and FR2 in Frankfurt as they are home to some very sought after and expensive co-location for financial customers.

2. Gert Leboski

Not to mention Slough's LD5.....

Where VMware host a good part of their cloud offering and I had to get an ExpressRoute link to Azure, up and running.

I think they'll be keen to keep a hold of a few of their data centres.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not to mention Slough's LD5.....

I was told recently VMware have 8 racks in the UK, so yes I guess that would be a "good part of their cloud" given how small vColo Air is...

3. hoggypotter

From the horses mouth

As part of the clearance, Equinix and TelecityGroup have agreed to divest the following facilities: TelecityGroup's Bonnington House, Sovereign House, Meridian Gate and Oliver's Yard data centers and Equinix's West Drayton data center in London; TelecityGroup's Science Park and Amstel Business Park I in Amsterdam; and TelecityGroup's Lyonerstrasse data center in Frankfurt. In the nine months from January-September 2015, these assets contributed approximately four percent of the combined TelecityGroup and Equinix revenues for that period.

1. PaulWizard
      Meh

Re: From the horses mouth

West Drayton (LD2) is already at risk from the Heathrow Airport plans (site is half in the new zone). Haven't heard a dickybird from our account manager about that either. Nice to hear about these things from the press first :|

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a bloody disaster for all of us Telecity customers. I never thought it would make it through, but I guess when you promise with puppy dog eyes to sell some 'key' assets, people roll over. Those keys assets are the old DCs no one wants to use anyway.

It's going to be disappointing to watch Telecity be trampled over by the big-d!ck swinging Equinix. They have built a great company, with first-class DCs, and Equinix will rip it all to bits.

Telecity is dead; long live Telecity.

1. steamrunner

As an ex-Telecity customer and a current (and happy, albeit paying £££) Equinix customer, I am on the flip side of the fence here. For us at least, Equinix have been a very good data centre provider (albeit for £££ as noted!). Arguably their facilities have been better than anything we have used in the past, although to be fair I couldn't comment on more recent data centre facility builds/fit-outs from other providers or their business practices. Aside from required divestments, I can't see Equinix ripping anything "to bits" in Telecity, data centre wise? Equinix also build "first class data centres" (what's the definition here anyway?) and if Telecity's remaining ones measure up (do they?) then I'd guess they should be OK with Equinix. Meanwhile, if Telecity Meridian/Sovereign/Bonnington are all up for grabs one assumes they'll likely all go to a new provider as a group, so customers based there probably need to worry more about any new potential owner over Equinix?).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like