back to article Amazon: Just to let you know, Oracle's cloud is so 2011. That's all

Amazon has pressed the AWS new-service release stream to persuade enterprises against being tempted by tasty deals from cloud weakling Oracle. Andy Jassy, AWS senior veep, didn’t name names at the AWS enterprise summit in London on Tuesday, but he didn’t have to. It was clear who he was referring to, and boasted AWS had “more …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Looks to me as if Oracle is rolling on the business as usual train

The Internet is not what Oracle is used to. Oracle gets you to its platform then proceeds to bleed you dry with every option and doodad as a surplus.

On the Internet you can't do that. The Internet is a world of fixed budget. People are generally not going to pay more for more functionality, but they will drop you if a competitor comes along with a better product. So everyone is putting more functionality just to stay relevant or get ahead of the competition.

That means that Oracle is simply going to price itself out of the market.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks to me as if Oracle is rolling on the business as usual train

"The Internet is a world of fixed budget".

Not sure about that, it is difficult to estimate the cost of many AWS offerings in advance until you have used it consistently for a significant period of time and aren't expecting any abnormal loads to present itself.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft is significantly behind [AWS] but is closing the gap"

According to Amazons and Microsoft's last few quarter results, Microsoft is already significantly ahead of AWS in cloud revenue and the gap is growing.

1. DaLo

"Microsoft is already significantly ahead of AWS in cloud revenue"

Depends on what Microsoft includes in Cloud Revenue - these figures are quite easy to manipulate by any party.

Either way I would suggest that they were talking about feature set, availability and reliability rather than revenue to a nebulous product category.

1. richardcox13

> Depends on what Microsoft includes in Cloud Revenue - these figures are quite easy to manipulate by any party.

Exactly. I seem to recall reading on these pages that MS includes Office 365 (to work Amazon has no equivalent).

However, like much in accounting, where the lines are drawn is completely arbitrary. If MS is using Office 365 to fund Azure development by making use of it, then so be it. In much the same way Amazon started AWS based on its own internal need for computing resources.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would never, ever choose Oracle where there was any reasonable choice. I would even choose a slightly inferior product if it meant not having to deal with them.

Having used a product from a company that got taken over by Oracle the experience is diabolical. Important support requests go unanswered for months despite constant chasing, buying new licences is a near impossible task that takes months and don't ever expect to get the product. Even trying to make payments has turned into headache (Oracle's solution "just leave your credit card details on our site and we'll take the money as it's needed"!).

Oh and because it a is product that falls into the category of "very difficult for the customer to migrate away from once embedded" we're waiting for the next round of extortionate prices rises for support.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Yep, I'm fighting with an Oracle database connection this morning. Stuff that is so simple on other databases is just so awkward with Oracle.

Look on the bright side - there is no longer any compelling reason to buy anything from Oracle. Surely, the only people buying from Oracle these days are those who are already locked in?

2. TheVogon

"I would never, ever choose Oracle where there was any reasonable choice."

+1.

I do wonder how they ever get into greenfield sites - more flexible sales expense accounts maybe?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Migration

Having never worked in an environment that uses Oracle anything, why is Oracle such a lock-in? I mean it's only a database right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Migration

Oracle don't just do databases they do a massive suite of products and have taken over many companies whose products people were relying on. For instance one of the largest hospitality systems groups in the US has been taken over by them and rolled into a division called Oracle Hospitality.

Many products are built around a database and are not ANSI compatible so they specify the database you must use. Oracle have been very good at convincing some application suppliers to use their database exclusively, therefore ensuring a lock in.

If you have a major database backend using specific Oracle DB functions and features then moving can be very difficult. You could be looking at a multi-year project with significant parallel running and downtime, especially if you are trying to use the same front-end and just wish to migrate the DB. You will also need a whole new set of DB Admins and support staff who have all got to work nicely together and understand significant amounts of the limitations of both systems. You'll also be faced with the fact that the 'new' crew are likely to be taking the jobs of the 'old' crew so there could be some ... tension.

If the costs and pain of using DB(x) or Application(y) (Oracle, MSSQL, Applicationx, whatever) are not quite at the level of business critical then you are going to have a hard time convincing the board, the CEO, the users, the IT team and yourself that moving away is the best option.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Migration

Thanks for the insight anon. Oracle/Java has always been there as this alien culture, smelling faintly of danger to me. It has a certain mystique, but I'm glad I work with FOSS solution stacks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like