back to article Seven-year itch claims Splunk CEO

Splunk CEO and president Godfrey Sullivan has retired. Sullivan's successor is Doug Merritt, previously senior veep for field operations at Splunk and a former senior exec at Cisco and PeopleSoft. Sullivan will hang around as non-executive Board chair and "will continue to work closely with the Board and with Merritt to ensure …

1. ratfox

Splunk?

Never heard of them. The world is big.

1. Doctor_Wibble

Re: Splunk?

Add me to the NFI list...

Obviously we can all STFW but for those that CBA:

"...an American multinational corporation based in San Francisco, California, that produces software for searching, monitoring, and analyzing machine-generated big data, via a web-style interface."

Which I think means they take numbers and make patterns and print pie charts and stuff, possibly even psychedelic animated ones.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
        Pint

Re: psychedelic animated pie charts

Psychedelic animated pie charts in boardrooms - that would explain so much... have one on me!

1. Danny 14

Re: psychedelic animated pie charts

I ran the trial for splunk and a few plugins (very nice AD transanction times and various monitoring all thrown into one neat package.) however, after the trial the price was eye watering and we are only small in comparison (it would have cost more to run splunk than our entire MS and Adobe licensing combined)

2. BigAndos

We use Splunk for monitoring performance of our web servers. It uses Hadoop to do lots of trendy sounding big data type things and then can present it in nice animated graphs/dashboards. (I'm a SQL developer so Hadoop et al are a bit beyond me so far).

It is also very handy to to search through terabytes of log files when you need to diagnose an issue.

1. Doctor_Wibble
        Trollface

> It is also very handy to to search through terabytes of log files when you need to diagnose an issue.

Did you never learn how to use grep and vi?

1. Doctor_Wibble

Boo, hiss, 2 thumbs down, I guess that's one for my failure to signpost an obvious sarcastic remark, and one for someone else's failure to spot it?

No way am I taking all the blame, I'm a proper team player...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like