back to article New Wireshark, Nmap releases bring pre-Xmas cheer to infosec types

Security types impatient for gifts under the Christmas tree may find that major upgrades to the popular Nmap and Wireshark infosec tools sate their appetite for new toys. Apple fans will have access to a much-improved Wireshark as version two of the network sniffing tool dropped last week. The immensely popular network …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Cue bleating politicians....

In about five minutes.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Cue bleating politicians....

A politician who knows what nmap and wireshark are? Pull the other one...

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Facepalm

Wireshark on Mac

I've been using the beta versions of Wireshark on Mac for a while. Whilst the UI is definitely better being more Mac native, I sure hope they've fixed the core issue they introduced where captures often don't actually capture anything!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wireshark on Mac

I sure hope they've fixed the core issue they introduced where captures often don't actually capture anything!

Interesting? I've been quite happily using it on OSX 10.11.1 since 2.0.0rc2. I did have some initial confusion, but that has more to do with the OSX naming of interfaces and what happens if you plug in a device (as my MacBook doesn't have a built-in Ethernet connector). I can't blame the software for that, that's just me before coffee :).

As for nmap, they are still working on a zenmap problem on the OSX version where OSX's protection system kicks in (FairPlay decryption fails) but I have every confidence they get that sorted. For now you can bypass the problem by starting the zenmap.bin straight from the package but, unlike wireshark, zenmap does not appear a native OSX compile but needs X11 support (by, for instance, installing XQuartz).

Having said all that, *very* happy with nmap itself as I have been pretty much from that day it was released so zenmap not working too well isn't too much of an issue, I'm comfortable with command line use :)

Both are *excellent* tools, honed by many years of improvement.

3. joeldillon

QT is QuickTime. The GUI toolkit is Qt (and is correctly capitalised as such in the actual release notes)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like