back to article Amazon now renting physical servers you can cuddle and love

This is different from hosting how exactly? Amazon Web Services has flicked the switch on “EC2 Dedicated Hosts” - a new cloud service that offers “physical servers fully dedicated for your use.” The new service applies to over 30 variations of the instance types in the M4, C3, C4, G2, R3, D2, and I2 instance types and can run …

1. Jim O'Reilly
    Holmes

Perhaps the future of the private cloud

With the now-apparent problems of moving data between private and public clouds in the hybrid cloud model, is this the future of the private cloud...rented long-term gear in AWS hosting space?

This likely puts the remaining hosting companies into a death spiral, but smart CIOs will see that this assured renting is no different form using hosted gear to make a private cloud.

Will storage follow down this path too....I'd bet on it. We do live in interesting times.

1. Probie

Re: Perhaps the future of the private cloud

Seems to me the "Snake that perpetually eats itself", apart from a billing model what has really changed?

If we put our minds to it we could have had physical servers provisioned in 10-20 minutes in the "old days".

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Thumb Up

If we put our minds to it we could have had physical servers provisioned in 10-20 minutes in the "old days".

We probably wouldn't have needed to call it 'the cloud' either.

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

Really? You could commission servers with networking, 100TB of storage, backup and databases on another continent where you have no staff in 20 mins. That's impressive.

I did just that two weeks ago on AWS, took two hours though because I don't have it properly scripted. Will be doing the same on Google next week.

2. John Tserkezis

Yeah, that's all I wanted, a server I can cuddle and hug. With love.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No thanks.

I still think it's cheaper to go elsewhere.

5. localzuk Silver badge

Price?!

That price is obscene. Even if you go for a high-spec dedicated server with someone like OVH, you won't pay anywhere near that. You can set up your own cloud with them for less than that in fact!

6. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Desktop Private Cloud(tm)

I'm using a dedicated physical cloud to host my desktop session right now. How do I market the idea in a way that will make me rich and prevent people from finding out what I'm doing?

1. Irnerd

Re: Desktop Private Cloud(tm)

Private Desktop, Own Server with cloud like synchronising functionality, et al, to the general user base?

Meh.

It all comes down to the same tiresome set of variables sadly. People don't like to pay as they for the most part believe computing and internet should be as free as possible. And it is exactly that freedom that is going to put the general public at large in the cavernous hole of never owning their own data and general computing experience. The international firms have this all sown up with sharp marketing and "cheap now" price tags.

Good luck if you can shift a user license on the private desktop though - might be more scaleable than my aspiration to place a server in everyones home with [secure] cloud syncing facility.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

I'm sorry, but the term "Desktop PC" is already taken...

3. Vic
      Joke

How do I market the idea in a way that will make me rich and prevent people from finding out what I'm doing?

I'm currently working on an idea I call "Personal Micro-CloudTM". The idea is that you locate all your cloudy components - processing, storage, networking - inside a single box, which you physically control. The miniaturised version can even sit in a folding terminal balanced precariously on your lap.

All I need is a few sqauzillion quid in seed capital to get it off the ground...

Vic.

7. PJ H

Rent

"Amazon now renting physical servers..."

Shouldn't that be 'renting out' or 'leasing'? Have we borrowed subs from the Telegraph or something?

1. tirk

Re: Rent

No, they have a physical servers in an offshore tax haven that they rent at obscene rates from another wing of Amazon. That's why they don't make any profits in higher-tax countries. Damn those pesky rental charges!

8. John Sanders
    Holmes

"""This is different from hosting how exactly?"""

Can you please illuminate us about what makes regular AWS not hosting either?

Thanks.

9. DirkMo

I think the author didn't really bother to read any of it

What you pay for is a dedicated host targeted at running your EC2 instances. So the M4 dedicated host has 2 E5-2676 CPU's, 24 physical cores and enough memory to run 22 m4.large instances. Each of those will have 8GB of RAM which makes it needs at least 176GB of RAM (and quite likely has at least 192GB).

The whole point is that it competes with dedicated instances. 22 dedicated m4.large instances would be 3.058$/hour + 2$ hour per region. So 5.058$/hour to get the same in US east.

So essentially just another option for people who are into the dedicated instance stuff. As to the difference with hosting: just like for any other instance it is the cloud software. If you feel you can run cloud better privately all the better for you and I agree it will be tons cheaper on the infrastructure side. In many cases though actually managing the stack ends up being resource intensive and hence expensive on the human resources side.

10. Your alien overlord - fear me

So I take it I can't store all the details from my thousands of carefully vetted, opted-in customers from Europe on it now? Damn, and I was so willing to pay OTT prices for a glorified hosting service.

Amazon, do you know how many Europeans now won't get emails and SMS reminders to claim for PPI scams?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like