back to article EMC CEO promises 'minimal disruption to existing product lines'

EMC Information Infrastructure CEO David Goulden has written to customers promising “minimal disruption to existing product lines” as EMC and Dell become one. In an email letter sent to El Reg's virtualisation desk, Goulden says Dell and EMC's “combined product and technology portfolios and sales approaches are complementary, …

1. AbstPoolAuto

Its amazing the difference a few weeks makes. when the news broke it was FUD central, almost gleeful proclamations of doom and gloom and how this was the last walk of the dinosaurs in a cloud world. Pure especially were really vocal about it - almost as if their data centric storage only play was somehow immune to cloud. Fast forward a few weeks and the feedback from ESG survey finds the majority of IT buyers and decision makers positive about the deal and Nimble and Pure are suffering all sorts of issues on the New York stock exchange.

I expect more fud from the rest of the infrastructure players because I think they are actually starting to get a little bit nervous. I have to say that as an end user nothing grinds my gears like FUD spreading - concentrate on your own products and not what everyone else is doing. If it can't sell itself on its merits dont expected me to get excited.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keep then all, really?

VNXe, VNX, EqualLogic, Compellent, project Unity. That's four not VMAX block storage plays plus the VNX replacement project which is a few years late already. Assuming VMAX stays I can't really see 4/5 block products continuing alongside the XtremIO AFA play. Some overlap might be OK but this is just too many products - keep them all and the R&D $s are spread too thin. This is a rock and a hard place, a game of storage product roulette. It's not FUD to say as a minimum there will be some disappointment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Keep then all, really?

EMC are already cutting staff across regions to maintain profits while revenues across its product lines fall. There are now way too many products competing with each other and this statement smells of 2 organisations trying to keep revenues flowing much like the IBM/Lenovo transaction.

Equalogic vs VNXe

VNX vs Compellant

Xtremio vs Compellant

Xtremio vs Vmax

Vsan vs Scaleio

Nutanix vs Vsan vs Scaleio

I would hate to be a Dell or EMC customer looking at their brand new or future platforms and having to place a russian roulette choice on what product will survive the cull

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like