back to article Google tries to spread the SQL cloud love

Google has unveiled the next gen of its Cloud SQL service, a hosted version of the MySQL database. The second generation Beta Cloud SQL is more than seven times faster than the first generation of Cloud SQL. And it scales to 10TB of data, 15,000 IOPS and 104GB of RAM per instance. The first generation of Cloud SQL was …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Translation: Please please please use our cloud. No one else is. Look, we are so desperate that we will even pay you to use it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suppose the physical security might be nice. Otherwise, meh. Been there, doing that, cluster even.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Setting up a worldwide Tungsten replicated MySQL database isn't easy to get right, there is a lot of value in having someone do it for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There's even more value in questioning just why you would be wanting something so ridiculous in the first place.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's some cash. Please come and use our beta

FFS, No.

^^ Why anon? Have we got a GoogleAlphabet rebel here?

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Missing from the article

Is that it's MySQL only. I could be interested in this is if it was with a real RDBMS.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Missing from the article

These days MySQL, if you configure it right, change the defaults and strictly control the clients is just about acceptable (in that it can be made to enforce data integrity and rarely corrupts data).

I'd hate to have to load 10TB into MySQL though, it's going to be painful to keep the batch sizes small enough to stop it crashing. Google customers at that scale should be considering BigTable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Missing from the article

"Google customers at that scale should be considering BigTable."

Or moving to Azure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like