back to article Nimble CEO: When it comes to all-flash stars, there can be only... six

Nimble Storage CEO Suresh Vasudevan told an investor conference he expects six all-flash array (AFA) suppliers to dominate the business, with Dell/EMC, HP and IBM being three of them. Vasudevan was talking at an analysts’ meeting, presenting multiple financial facets of his post-IPO company. Attendee Stifel MD Aaron Rakers …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2016 Predictions and Beyond

HDS - - HAF? Half of what? Acquire a marketing department.

Kaminario - Wut? Terminario

NetApp - Stop the marketing snow jobs

Pure Storage - Where's the scale out? I do admire Vaughn's silky hair though, I must admit

SanDisk (Intelliflash JBOF with third-party SW) being bought by WDC - Neeeext

Solidfire - Be acquired to Die trying

Tegile - Ex-Cisco execs? Storage? As good a match as bacon and avocado.

Tintri - You better grow up and learn how to block

Violin Memory - Stick a fork. No. Stick two forks.

1. O RLY
      Pint

Bacon and avocado

I realize this has nothing to do with with your post other than the complete nonsense about food choices.

Bacon and avocado go great together. Cisco execs and storage? No idea, but you mentioned food and and it's around time to eat here.

Here are just three awesome pairings:

* Guacamole bacon hamburgers

* Avocado halves filled with bacon and eggs

* Avocado slices on a bacon-turkey club sandwich

And all of those go well with a pint!

1. Electron Shepherd
        Happy

Re: Bacon and avocado

As ever, a certain R. Munroe was there first.

http://xkcd.com/1609/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2016 Predictions and Beyond

What are the chance Farley hits a 3rd Home Run? Practically ZERO

I can see the book now...Building Storage Networks The ZFS Edition by Marc Farley

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2016 Predictions and Beyond

"Stick a fork. No. Stick two forks." - hilarious. You should get a job writing BOFH!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He might be right

but I can't for the life of me see a reason Nimble would be amongst the 6 vendors. NetApp have their integration and software stack to save them, Violin possibly have enough good IP to save them, Pure were early and cheap (although now far more pricey than NetApp AFF) but Nimble have neither the software integration, API, hardware IP nor brand to be in the club unless they have something much more clever up their sleeve and I can't imagine what that might be. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Nimble, just if I were going to pick 6 to go forward they would not be in the running.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He might be right

Violin are actively shopping themselves around right now to sell the company and the associated IP - the company is as good as toast (reference: last earnings call).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He might be right

This is a developing market which by the end of this year, it'll be somewhere around 2.4bln. Everybody's trying to position themselves. Way too early to tell.

If you want SW integration then you need to look at established architectures like ONTAP because none of these newer players have deep hooks but what these newer guys do have is significant simplicity, ease of use, less complexity. For a lot of people these days, these beat "better". Remember, there's NO free lunch. There are always tradeoffs to be made.

What's important to you maybe not be important for someone else

3. Dave 13

All-Flash startup VC money will surely be harder to get after the shakeout coming in the AFA market. 6 survivors? More like 3. Very few openings for compelling new IP in this market until the next (non-flash) cycle hits. Watch Intel/Micron for the opening move.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

We could suggest that the three winners on this list are likely to be HDS, NetApp and Pure Storage, with less strong feelings about HDS and NetApp than Pure.

That doesn't parse.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty rich

Pretty rich for a guy who is THE LAST IN THE INDUSTRY to bring a product to market -- and an undifferentiated one at that -- to imply that he will be among the leaders to emerge post some future consolidation.

If you miss your number by like what, 10%? -- and your stock falls by 50% -- what does that mean? What does that really mean about a company, a product line, an architecture? I think it means grossly insufficient product differentiation. It is a prediction that you will be a loser in the coming consolidation, not a winner. So to go out and declare yourself a winner -- in advance -- when the market is telling you 100% the opposite -- well, that just takes the cake!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pretty rich seems a little upset

Pretty Rich seems to know a lot about the yet to be announced Nimble AFA and seems very upset. First is not always a good place to be - Violin is a good example, they tried, but no cigar. Did Prettty Rich have money on that dead horse. There are a host of 'emergent' storage companies. CM mentions Kaminario, Pure, SanDisk, SolidFire, Tegile, Tintri and Violin. I know people at four of these and those four at least have a niche they are chasing, some interesting ideas and some decent people. After a lot of dull years storage is interesting again. I don't know what Nimble has in terms of an all flash play but rather than chase a niche they have gone for a more general approach. This has got them nearly 7,000 customers, who seem to love what they do (more than the 7 listed emergent players combined). It will be very interesting to see what Nimble comes out with, perhaps the game is just beginning (except for Violin, who IMO are dead).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Haha, no, I don't have any money on Violin (!).

You're not arguing with me about Nimble's prospects, you're arguing with the market. For their part I wish Nimble well. But I don't know why Suresh is opening his mouth at this juncture.

I do agree, Storage is interesting again.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I had money on Violin. And I'm very bitter about it.

Just wanted to contribute.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm guessing Suresh is making noise ahead of being able to announce whatever Nimble have under wraps. The SEC make some loops Execs have to jump through and you can almost see him navigating that course. The market is next to useless as a short term indicator. Cisco and NetApp both had bigger price crashes than Nimble in their history, but it is does put some short term pressure on them. IMO The reason storage is interesting again is we are at one of those tipping points that come normally less than once a generation. The top five vendors have lost more market share in the last 18 months than the previous decade and seem mostly powerless to arrest their slide. This makes the market nervous but no wiser. The movements at the moment are largely the average guesses of people with money but only limited understanding. Limited for some because they don't know much but mostly because there are just so many unknowns at the moment. I have to argue every day with the market (or at least mostly ignore stock prices) as otherwise I'd be flip-flopping all over the place.

On the separate question of why investors would want to listen to the CEO of a company whose price had just dropped 50% - Doh! - That is so 101. What he has to say becomes more important as the market is never a steady state and investment opportunities exist around such large movements - whether to buy/sell/hold not just Nimble but wide stocks will be influenced by what Nimble says and does.

To the AC who lost on Violin you have may sympathy, I held my Dell stock far too long.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why would a group of investors even want to listen to a CEO whose company lost 50% of its value? Was it a conference on shorting stock?

6. Scaffa

"All Flash Array vendor announces All Flash Arrays will dominate market."

Wonderful. I certainly never would've expected such a position.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed numbers, stock halved, late to all flash market

Why is anyone listening to the CEO of a loss-making fast follower talk about a trend that his company isn't yet participating in?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Missed numbers, stock halved, late to all flash market

Well, that's what happens when the current solutions in the market don't deliver. People are eager to listen to the next person.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

block to filer to afa to ...

The amusing thing in all of these transitions for somebody who has worked in SV since the 1980s is many many many of the same players keep showing up in all of these stories and companies. Eventually I suppose we'll have a winner technology, but by and large I see many of the same mistakes being made from a technical point of view, by the same people, with often the same funders.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Storage landscape

As I've had hands on with pretty much every one of these vendors products i'd like to toss in a couple of thoughts.

1. Dell / EMC - The XtremIO is garbage... If you love watching your tier 1 array fail spectacularly... here you go. The only reason this has a market presence at all is the EMC brand. As well as their sales force was getting double commissions pushing it. So instead of refreshing VNXs or Vmax, guess what their sales force shoved down the throat of everyone of their existing customers?

2. HP - 3par 7450 and 8450 ... its a damn 3par with only flash drives and more memory... that is it. It couldn't possibly be a lazier entry into the AFA market than this. Dedupe and compression are clearly after thoughts, and from the interface you'll struggle to find out how well the array is actually performing in these metrics compared to other vendors.

3. IBM - TMS feels like its the last bit of hardware that IBM actually sells outside of Power. Big blue has stifled the once awesome prospect of TMS and it's RamSan. As far as being a market leader, it hardly qualifies. Like EMC this was an install base refresh ploy to show market share.

4. Pure - Frankly I love their //m series array. Its clean (only power and fiber coming off the back), installed in 30 minutes, and the interface is easy to use and didn't require a VM or extra 1U server to run (looking at you EMC and HP). Only issue I have is with array sprawl, once you hit the capacity or the iops limit of the array you need another one, with a separate management interface. So its harder from a capacity stand point to replace VMaxs or 10000/20000 3pars with it. Though they at least have a multi-array management tool.

5. Solid Fire - It was "ok". I think the biggest annoyance is they market it as a 100 node capable, but fail to mention that is only if you use iSCSI for your block based storage. If you use fiber you are limited to 20 nodes due to the fan-in bottleneck of the 2 fiber channel nodes. Oh and they don't sell or configure the dual 10 Gb switches required to form the cluster, so you need to do quite a bit of extra networking work to get this operational.

6. Kaminario - I like the scale up or scale out design, and the interface is clean. The install though was painful...5+ hours on the first and 3+ days for the 2nd due to a DOA component they had to triage. Marketing and name recognition is next to non-existent. I really was hoping NetApp was going to buy them instead of solid-fire.

7. Violin - Clearly losing a battle in the flash industry because of their focus on block storage in a very crowded market. They would excel if they instead focused on their NAS component through the WFA... uses the same hardware just a custom Windows 2012 Server storage edition on its management blades. SMB 3.0 has some very cool features that are being under-marketed (RDMA and Multi-channel). If they would OEM the hardware and provide linux drivers for the Vimms their array would fit nicely into a HPC cluster file system (gpfs / lustre).

8. Sandisk -The infiniflash has some awesome density, just poor connectivity... 512TB and only 6 Gb SAS?

9. HDS - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... no. When is the last time anyone had a rep come by their office?

10. Tegile - They at least figured out DDR cache is still faster than sas based SSD, which the rest of the market seems to have forgotten. They fail on the fact that they are still hybrid centered, and their box is nothing more than software on a supermicro box.

1. ewwhite

Re: Storage landscape

And what's your take on Nimble?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like