back to article Dixons Carphone CEO dances on rivals’ graves, swipes share from survivors

Christmas is unlikely to come early for Brit shoppers at Dixons Carphone. Essentially, the retail borg is awash with cash so it won’t on this occasion need to slash prices to counter a summer of soggy sales. Numbers at the half-way point of fiscal ’16 – ended 31 October – filed this morning, showed like-for-like revenue up …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Something is amiss

It's all about Nordics, nordics. What about the poor Greeks? Did they finally ran out of money to buy 52 inch TVs so they are no longer the significant factor in Dixon's accounts that they were in the first half of the year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Something is amiss

No sympathy for the Greeks, they were living beyond their means at others expense.

LMFTFY:

Did they finally run out of other people's money to buy 52 inch TVs ?

2. djstardust

Just shows .....

You can run a really bad business and still make money.

Mind you, the demise of comet has really helped!

3. present_arms

Comet

I remember when Comet died, I was looking for a USB pen drive, I went in to a soon to be closed Comet in High Wycombe and the price then was £25 for a 32 GB Sandisk. I walked to PCWorld (Part of the Dixons group) and picked the exact same Sandisk USB drive for £19, this was in 2012. I've never missed Comet, to be honest I wouldn't miss Dixon group either

Alie

1. Phil W

Re: Comet

Unfortunately this was always Comet's problem, horrendously over priced, even compared to other over priced retailers.

Dixons group stores seem to be becoming slightly more realistic in some areas at least. I wanted a USB 2.5" SATA caddy the other day, got one at PC World for £5, not far off eBay prices!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Wow! You actually found something in a PC-World Store that wasn't running Windows 10, android TV (Samsung TV's) and overpriced HP Inkjet Printers

1. Danny 14

I had a job thrown my way with an overheating laptop. Cleaned out the fans, vents and so forth but I needed some thermal compound and it was 7pm (wanted to get the job done). PC world had some for £5 on the shelf, sure it was more expensive than ebay but at least they HAD some at not TOO extortionate price (I wasn't paying anyway). I must admit I hadn't been into a PC world in years (didn't know they coexisted with currys now) and was surprised that what was on the shelf was worth a look - something I wouldn't have dreamed of in the past. Prices were more expensive but not ludicrously so (and good enough in a pinch or hurry).

For shit'n'giggles I also looked at HDMI cables, sure enough there were £20 ones but there were also "couple of quid" ones too - a massive change from previous years.

I wasn't harassed by salesmen either, sure they were about but I only got asked once, and to be honest it was when I had done a complete circle around the peripherals aisle so not as bad as a carpet shop...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I wasn't harassed by salesmen either"

But did they try to sell you extended warranty for your thermal compound?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon