back to article Ex-SAP exec sent down for 22 months after bribing govt IT officials

A former regional director of SAP has been sentenced to 22 months in jail – plus three years of supervised release – for greasing the palms of government IT buyers. Vicente Eduardo Garcia, 65, of Miami, Florida, pleaded guilty in August to bribing Panamanian government officials to secure a contract for one of the company's …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Bribes? No thanks

What a coincidence, I've just finished doing my mandatory corruption course, as I deal with suppliers.

I'm not even allowed to accept a Christmas bottle of wine from my telecoms account manager, which is a bit of a shame.

I am going to go right ahead and assume that it's only the little guys, like Sr. Garcia and I that these rules apply to.

1. Tony S

Re: Bribes? No thanks

I've been in that situation. Company policy was 100% cast iron that no-one could accept gifts of any kind; then I found out that one of the execs had gone away on holiday and when he and his family got back, they had a brand new kitchen. I'm told that it cost about £5,000 and that was in the days that a 2 bedroom house sold for £19,000.

Most recently, I'm in a situation where someone appears to have done a backhand deal that means the place I work at is paying for the licences that are being actually used by another business that the FD has a relationship with. I queried this, but the issue is being swept under the carpet; and I suspect that because I keep querying why they tolerate this, my services may not be required much longer.

1. Aitor 1

Re: Bribes? No thanks

Get the data and you won't be fired...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When will they be sentenced for selling overpriced rubbish software?

Millions and millions and millions of dollars, for rubbishware.

Criminal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like