back to article EMC goes on the chainsaw diet to slash $850 million

EMC's preparing for a huge round of layoffs, announcing last Thursday that it's set aside a quarter of a billion, US$220 million of it for cash payments. In advance of its acquisition by Dell, the company is hoping to carve $850 million out of its cost base. Last October, El Reg predicted the Dell/EMC stroll down the aisle …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder who's going to get chopped at EMC? Professional services makes them a nice coin, although I'd hate to be a resident on the bench for any prolonged period at this time. They've been trying to save money with their support engineers for years, the merge with Dell might be the final straw for them. I know some folks that were offered early retirements last year and that could be the first sign for major cutbacks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Marketing, some sales, minor CTO/advisory roles, etc.

People being allowed to vest their stock immediately without normal rules so some very generous packages going...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell

When Dell took over Compellent, a few months later, support nose dived for over a year, its one of the reasons not for going for Dell or EMC on our latest SAN purchase, I can do without that headache thank you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What will be left?

It seems like everyone at EMC is moving toward the door. This announcement will probably only accelerate the exodus. I wonder what will be left of EMC when/if Dell completes this merger in six months.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like