back to article HSBC COO ‘profoundly apologises’ for online outage

HSBC has pushed forward its chief operating officer to "profoundly apologise" for the online outage that began on Monday morning and which is continuing to cause havoc for millions of internet banking customers. The bank's online banking for personal accounts continues to be out of action, with business banking running at a " …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Likely causes....

"Not malicious".

So... that leaves... incompetence. In many forms as you have listed, but still incompetence.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Frank Bitterlich

Well, that list is roughly equivalent to saying "The problem must be either hardware, software, or human error." Not wrong, but useless.

1. Dr Who

Chill. We all get downvotes for comments we thought were really great but clearly weren't. That's the beauty of the comments, they help put our own views into perspective. Stop digging and move on.

4. TheVogon

You missed:

0. They outsourced the support of a critical system to a third world country and fired the people who actually knew how it worked.

2. sysconfig

...with business banking running at a "significantly reduced capacity"

Yes, zero is indeed a significantly reduced capacity. Trying to log on has been impossible whole day.

1. Dan Wilkie

Re: ...with business banking running at a "significantly reduced capacity"

Mine was working fine earlier today, and now its broken again. So partial capacity!

3. AMBxx Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"complex technical issue"

Sounds like they've not found the problem yet.

I went to school with John, so wish him well, but he'd be much better just saying that they've not identified the problem yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "complex technical issue"

Complex technical issues often boil down to fairly simple managerial ones, like "is this activity allocated sufficient resources and supervision given its importance to the business?".

1. Vic
        FAIL

Re: "complex technical issue"

Complex technical issues often boil down to fairly simple managerial ones,

Like "has some clueless numpty turned up issuing orders and igniring the people with some idea how this works?"

Vic.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does HSBC rely on a private cloud of some kind?

Based on the patchy availability, the availability of alternate channels (i.e. phone or app) and the reduced capacity I would say a cloud failure storage/network/automations is the likely cause.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Does HSBC rely on a private cloud of some kind?

A private cloud... is that newfangled talk for having a data centre?

1. Captain Scarlet

Marketing for having more than one DC with some sort of failover for important machines.

2. Vic

I would say a cloud failure storage/network/automations is the likely cause.

Quite possibly. DNS shows signs of someone hacking at it with a blunt blade, but as the SOA record appears to be missing, it's hard to tell whether that happened this screw-up or last...

Vic.

5. Alistair
    Windows

large complex environments

It is usually imperative for there to be clear documentation on what bit does which task and the how, when and where of that bit. Sadly, given the evolutionary speed of applications these days said documentation tends to lag behind the changes to the bits. I'll add one more thing to the list on the top post.... Change in volume.

Sometimes its resource consumption and you can see it coming as you hit the end of the line, and then there is that *one* counter out there that someone coded in as a 16 bit variable.............

Don't envy the folks working on the task, as I've been in a couple of those wars over the years and its a s&!77y way to start the year off, but I hope they find it soon.

6. hamiltoneuk

Fixed

They've fixed it. Some card (not me) tweeted: have they tried switching the system off and then on again?? :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Their COO can suck my member.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More weasel words ...

Still won't stop him getting a massive bonus, will it?

Someone also needs to tell him that copy-pasting the same tweet every three hours or so does *not* constitute an update.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They may fix the IT ..

.. but they won't be able to fix that bank.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We can, however, confirm this is not a cyber attack, or any other malicious act"

Should read: "It's just that we're not very good at IT and have outsourced core functions. We'll still get our bonuses, though, so that's OK".

11. Joeman

Finger of blame...

blaming them for my late VAT return... nothing to do with me being too lazy to do it over xmas or anything.. honest...

12. JaitcH
    FAIL

Have HSBC data centres been flooded?

Perhaps the HSBC bunker which can be found between Sheffield and Barnsley in the former mining community of Tankersley in the UK, GPS 53.48935, -1.4918, has been flooded.

It's just off the M1 and can be found by following the A61 to Wentworth Way then along Maple Road.

The locals call it "Teletubbyland" because of all the ventilation funnels surrounding the site that resemble the voice trumpets on the TV show!.

The data centre, completed in Summer 2009, has a server hall measuring 250 metres long by 100 metres wide. There is an Argon fire suppression system, along with underground fuel tanks for the two DRUPS (Diesel Rotary Uninterruptible Power Supplies), as well as a couple of dedicated electricity sub-stations.

Also in 2009 HSBC opened a new data centre "at a secret location in suburban North London" which is actually located at what was formerly an old Glaxo Smith Kline Beecham site, now known as Quadrant Park, Mundells, Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire.

Since when has Hertfordshire been called "suburban North London"?

No flooding reported there.

P.S. All those waiting for Fibre Optic services might like to know that both these sites have Fibre Optic cables described as 'thick as your wrist'.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: Have HSBC data centres been flooded?

Isn't that first one where Lotus is : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/20/lotus_f1_data_centre_and_telemetry/?page=4 ?

2. Millsey

Re: Have HSBC data centres been flooded?

I'm right there, right now. No flooding. And some of your "information" is wrong.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive

Considering as most banks do over Xmas - New Year, they impose a change embargo due to staff being on hols, it will be interesting to find out what caused this.

There again, outsource your support to wherever its cheap and anything can happen.

14. Johndoe888
    Thumb Up

I expect we will read about what happened in a future edition of "On Call"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't believe the bullshit here..

"we will ensure customers do not lose out as a result of this issue. Any fees customers incur as a result of this outage will be waived."

Oh, great f*ckedidoo, that's EVER so kind of you. You do this entirely out of the kindness of your blessed heart, and not because you'd be sued into the ground by your customers otherwise, no?

1. Simon Westerby 1

Re: I can't believe the bullshit here..

Well I think ts nice of them to offer to waive other companies fees....

I think they need to add " or refunded" to the end of that sentence.

16. PhilipN Silver badge

Recite after me :

"THE BANK NEVER LOSES!!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like